Sign in to follow this  
RDH

2.0 16v Engine temps

Possibly a numpty question.., but here goes.

I have got a 94 2.0 16v with 112k, I have noticed that the engine gets really hot quickly, by this I mean the engine bay feels really hot, the temp gauge does not indicate any problems and the fan kicks in if the car is running when stationary for a few mins . The MFA oil temp does not work so I am unsure of oil temp.

I have 2 questions really-

1, Do the 2.0 16v engines run quite hot or should I be concerned?

2, I have searched this site and think the Oil temp not working on the MFA may be down to a temp sender??, where would the oil temp sender be located, and what does it look like??, the rest of the MFA functions work fine.

Any help/advice appreciated

Rich

Quite a difficult one to answer really without sounding like i'm taking the piss.

Yes it will be quite hot, not as hot as a bigger engined car but still very hot....as is the nature of an engine.

The oil temp sender is located at the front of the engine on top of the bit that the oil filter fits on to.

Cheers, will have a look for oil temp sender.

Just seeking another opinion on the the engine temperature, it is noticably hot after a short time running and at low ambient temperatures.

Thanks for reply

Rich

my valver always seemed really hot....water temp normally sat at 90 ish and oil between 98 - 114 depending on my right foot activity.

as mentioned above.....if you look for the oil filter, on top of it there will be 2 senders, they have wires coming off them. one is blue and one is yellow, but i cant for the life of me remember which one is which....if you go to vw the guys on the parts will tell you whats what. i dont think a new sender is much really.

Took C for a good run this morning, variety of driving-motorway then nice country roads. I noticed the temp gauge was at 70, occasionally rising to 75. I believe 90 in normal running temp. Should I be concerned or am I becoming a paranoid C owner :shock:

Car seems to be running well and it was a nice drive 8)

Thanks Rich

If the fan is coming then that is definately under reading, the sensor is fairly cheap and easy enough to replace.

get a new temp sensor for the side of the engine block...bout £20 max from vw, (only if fan is coming on properly as mentioned above)

when driving motorway the temp will read 70-75 but around town and slow roads expect 90+ temps

my old 2.0l 16v used to run just under or just over the 100 mark noraml temp (not moving fast or standing still), about 70 degrees ish on motorway.

i found the engine did run pretty hot but this is normal, think your just being paranoid, lol just like i used to be.

Cheers,think all C owners are a bit paranoid. :shock:

Cheers for replies.

Rich.