Sign in to follow this  
mrbeige

Mk4 20v Turbot information....HELP!

My brother-in-law has just purchased an X-reg Mk4 Golf Turbo and wants to as much info as he can get on tuning it (further). It has already been REVO'd at AMD to 212bhp. He wants more :lol: Can anyone suggest where he could go for info on what would be involved with increasing this power output?? I know very little about the 20v turbo, so I can offer him very little advice. He on the UK MK4 forum, but he said it tends to be more of a what it looks like and where the work was done rather than how to go about doing stuff himself. Fitting boost gauges and what exhausts and what air filter and which turbo, or injectors or fuel pressure regulators etc.

Any help is much appreciated :D

Mods: Not sure if this is the best place for this. Feel free to move to engine bay if that's a better spot....

He's not going to get much more out of that turbo. 212hp is about it, if a little optimistic imo..... but then we are talking about AmD's rollers :lol:

It's wallet bashing time.

There are things he can do. Forge Tip, Forge 007p, modded airbox, Megan racing 3" downpipe and 2.5" exhaust (will need the poly dogbone mount), TT injectors, custom remap (not revo generic schitt) etc etc and 230-235hp *might* be squeezed out of it.

He won't be happy with that because he's not happy with 212hp already. Best bet is for him to investigate a decent kit, such as APR Stage 1 or 2, which uses the rather excellent disco potato turbo (GT28RS) and then he can get into the 300s.

The power he wants is going to be expensive! Probably a good compromise would be a TT engine transplant and ~280hp.

Cheers Kev, that's just the kind of response I needed. Is the turbo on the BAM engines bigger/better? Could he use that instead of doing a complete transplant, or are there many differences between the 150bhp and the 225bhp 20v turbo engines?

BAM has the larger KKK K04 turbo, which is good for up to 290-300hp with other physical mods.

The BAM engine/ECU is a lot more sophisticated and has a MAP sensor aswell as a MAF and also EGT as a failsafe.

The older AGU k03 based 1.8Ts don't have MAP or EGT and they can blow quite easily if they've been chipped and the MAF goes.

The old AGU lumps have the best flowing heads, but the weakest block. The BAM has the strongest block, but the more restrictive head. It's not uncommon for folk to put the AGU head on the BAM block.

Personally I don't like the aesthmatic KKK turbos. Get a nice Garrett ball bearing on there, which is more efficient and delivers more boost and common to both BAM and AGU, the exhaust manifold is pathetic. You can barely get your finger up the ports, so priority one would be to get a proper cast manifold on there. Preferably not Jabba's because it's a pig to get at some of the nuts and they crack.

Some folk fit the TD04 and 5 turbos from the Subaru Impreza, but they seem to crack across the wastegate housing.

As I say, APR is the way forward. Very high quality kit :-)

So what is the AUM engine like then? That's the block he has. Is that a stronger block than say the early AGU?

Should he be looking into front mount intercoolers etc?

Just looking into the APR stuff and the likes of Tuningwerkes want over 5k for the Stage III kit! :shock: I'm thinking your idea of using the BAM engine could be the way forward, given that witha re-chip should see 250+ ?? Would it be a relatively straight forward swap?

F'ck knows mate. There are loads of 1.8T variations. My missus's Polo 1.8T has a BJX engine code! I only really know the AGU and BAM engines reasonably well......because I've blown up an AGU myself and I watched a BAM blow up on the dyno :lol:

They're all essentially the same. Just turbo sizing and ECUs are the main differences.

The AGU block was literally just a 16V block slightly modded. VW recast it properly and made it stronger for the BAM motor.

AUM, BJX, AUQ etc etc I have no feckin idea, sorry dude!

They all have the small port heads after AGU though and the K03 was dropped after 2002. K03S and K04 are now the only 1.8T lumps.....well.....K03S and it's only in the Polo and Fabia (I think) now.... it's bloody confusing mate. The 2.0 TFSI is nice because there's only one version of it :lol:

Front mounts will improve torque, but won't hike power up much, if at all.

Yeah the APR stuff is expensive but you get what you pay for. Quality boost that lasts never was cheap.

Yeah, dropping in the S3/TT 225hp lump with it's loom and ECU would be a good upgrade and 280hp is common with a revo remap. With the 1.8T you can also use a few utilities to do your own tweaking up the serial port.