Sign in to follow this  
kaiserVR6

SunRoof Mods.....any takers or thinkers??

Been thinking about all the roblems my sunroof has caused over recent years, especially the small leak i seem to have acrewed in recent months, and i came to a couple of solutions

Replace the motor and get it running again, :?

Leave it and hope for the best :? :?

and something a little bit different, have the sunroof and all gear removed and have it replaced with a toughed glass plate and sealed in place........ :shock:

the last one is a little mod i have really been wanting to do but i dont have a clue who to go to with it as i would then need new headling etc...........

gents your opinions please....... 8)

Is it possible to retrofit a tilt only glass sunroof from something else, that way you get the sunroof still, possibly no need for a new headliner and the skylight.

A few people have had excellent results with the moonroof from Passat estates (model year 1993-94 IIRC). The mechanism is much better and doesn't break. Also the profile of the esate one suits the profile of the Corrado roof well.

Personally I'd junk the whole Corrado POS sunroof and fit a manually operated one from a MK2 Golf. Or an Audi 90/80 if you want tilt *and* slide.

Not aware of either going wrong in a big way!

Passat Glass roof bolts straight in, and is tilt and slide.

Had one in my car for years, and it's a great mod!

Just do a search for "moonroof conversion" 8)

sounds like a plan, i need to hunt down a moon roof and all the gear for it!

Problem is i have no idea how to get the current roof out as it is no working in anyway, i am sure i'll find out tomorrow when i get in the garage with in and a box of tools......only joking need to find a roof

if anyone hears of one, give me a shout, not too bothered about it moving, just wanted an extra window and a roof that doesnt leak.

alothough i think some of the leak is down to the chanel that drains the water away from the sunroof being blocked, i only think this as my mate had a problem similar in his mk3 golf, am i right????

You just need the complete moonroof + mech. Everything else from the Corrado including the motor is a direct fit to it.

Only tricky part with fitting is getting the headlining out of the car. But once you see how all that unclips it isn't as bad as you initially think.

There is a sunroof drain pipe in each of the four corners of the mech. With the pipes leading down towards each wheel arch. If you get undearneath the car you can see where they come out. In the past I used a testube cleaner (borrowed from one of the labs) attached to a piece of flexible metal rod like a coathanger to clean out the pipes.

Dec, just been out with a test tube clean and the gunk in the front drivers side one was pretty bad, just wait for the rain to give it a test......my drain pipes at the front appear in the door well, the rear ones i cant find......

head lining out today while the sun is shining.....i'll let you peeps know how it goes......

cheers

Have a look at the Wiki as there's a guide to removal and repair there too..

Used it when I did my moonroof conversion.. 3hrs all in.. you need at least 2 people though (more would be helpful to hold all the pillar trim out the way... unless you're going to strip it all out!

ahh...it's possible to do it by yourself!

I did end up holding the new moonroof in position with my head on a couple of occasions where three hands would have come in very useful though :lol:

Did the moonroof mod myself and it was bloody hard work doing it on my own. Its simply straight foward, swapping the old for the new and i must say the new suites the raddo just fine. After fitting and bolting the roof in you might need to adjust the four screws (two on each sides) which the glass is bolted on for the perfect fit, simply by loosening the screws and pushing the glass up abit until its leveled with the roof and then fasten them back. Oh, don't forget to connect the drain pipes.

I put a roof from a '93 passat in mine about two months ago. I got it in and it wouldn't sit flat, then it started leaking. I didn't put tracks or anything, just the roof itself. Installation was easy, but troubleshooting it was a pain.

ahh...it's possible to do it by yourself!

I did end up holding the new moonroof in position with my head on a couple of occasions where three hands would have come in very useful though :lol:

i did it by myself, used my head aswell to hold the sunroof up.

took about half about hour to get it out and new one in.

when you put the sunroof in you can slide it back onto the little tabs that you bolt it onto and then use your hand (or knee as i used to get two bolts in at the front) then that will hold it up for u to put the other 8 bolts in.