Sign in to follow this  
James sprinter

What temp for a 1.8L 16v?

Hope you can help with a couple of questions,

I'm running a 1.8L 16v, the temp guage runs from just under 70degrees to just over 110degrees.

What should I expect the oil temperature to be when she's warmed up

What temperature should the fan kick in?

Does your fan kick in after you turned the car off?

Reason I ask is because I've just had the waterpump replaced (noisy bearings) and filled with G12+ and she seems to be running hotter than before.

My thing runs up to 100 degrees and even above that if ive been winding it up i thought it was pretty warm as well but i guess i got used to it, safe oil temp is about 80 degrees that wen the engine is warmed up and ready for a roastin i usually try not to go above 3500 rpm untill then but once its warmed up it usually sits about 104 or hight if its been canned. My fan does come on after ive turned the car off depending on how hot it is is the time it stays on for. Have fun :D

As far as I kown thats fine. My average when warmed up is 98. If I'm stuck in traffic for a long time, stoping and starting it has riden to 112 but I think even thats nothing to worry about.

Thats on a G60 dont know if it runs at the same temperatures as a 16v.

Water temp gauge needle should usually sit around halfway between min - max, although in traffic jams etc this can rise. Fan should cut in before you get near to the red zone.

Ideal oil temp for most engines is around 95-100 degrees although unless you're seeing temperatures of 115+ degrees then don't worry too much. Above 115 degrees the oil begins to loose it's lubrication properties & service intervals will need to be reduced.

G60 cooling fan can run for upto 20 minutes after the engine is switched off although I'm not sure if this is the case with a 1.8-16v

Did they replace your thermostat when you had the waterpump done - if your car's water temp is running very hot then this may need replacing.

My radiator recently did its thing and shat itself all over the deck so i got a new one and i had to replace the thermoswitch as well, ever since this was done the car runs a whole heap cooler it averages about 90 degrees on the water and the oil hit about 100 max. i rekomend getting a new radiatior cos these cars can run really hot, i got mine from GSF for about 60 notes all in, pretty good deal id say :D

I've heard of valvers running up to 125 deg C oil temp without problem. Mine sits happily at 102 and rises to about 116 in heavy traffic. Water sits a 90 up to just below the 110 deg mark in hot weather in heavy traffic, but right now it doesn't realy go much above 100 in traffic.

The car should quickly warm up to 90 deg (it should never drop below it while running- if it does, the thermostat is stuck open). Max water temp should really be just below the 110 deg. An efficiently running system should be able to bring the temp down before the gauge reads 110.

Fan kick in temp is 97 deg C, though because of the thermoswitch and water temp gauge sensor locations being very far apart, the gauge may read over 100 before you can see the fan come on.

Theres a secondary ambient temp sensor on the engine that can operate the fan when the engine is off (latent heat build up an' all that). Most people usually hear the fan come on for up to 20 mins in hot weather after turning off.

I've just read the date on the original post, so I'm assuming James is already happy with the answers on this thread, but I'm not deleting this.

So Corrado4life, your oil temp of 110 deg is not necessarily a problem. It depends on the driving conditions.. If motorway cruising at legal speeds the temp could be just above 100 deg. If thrashing it or driving around a town this will be higher. Mine would average 110 deg around town. Hope this helps :)

my 1.8 20v runs at between 95-100 on the motorway and 110 in traffic we had to fit twin fans tho :D

my vr ran alot cooler ... strangely

yeah cheers guys mine tends to read 110 only after 4mins of 30mph driving, i have now started to keep an eye on it! my water temp sits around 90-92 and in heavy trafic up to 100.

on a run from somerset to n.wales my oil went upto 125(was quite worried) then two days later my oil cooler went then 3months later head gasket!!!

sits now about 104-6 after getting oil cooler then head gasket done-although had a brief moment at 124-it seems to have cleared up now am thinking there was an air lock in the system somewhere

water has always sat just over the middle mark