Sign in to follow this  
ross.taylor

My Plate

I need some advice and possibly a lend of some forum clout from anyone willing. I sadly had to sell my Rado last year at the end of October to buy a (very slow - 68bhp!) Transporter. The guy I sold it to drove to see it from Salisbury with a mechanic mate who I guess was there to look for any problems with the car. We thrashed out a price which was a little below what I wanted but of course more then he wanted to pay.

He wanted to take it away there and then but it needed an MOT within a month and it still had my plate on it. So we adjusted the price to cover the MOT and I gave him £80 cash back to put the plate on retention for me and so that he could send me the retention document. I heard nothing for a month or so. So I contacted him and he said that he hadn't had a chance to do it. So I left it for a bit and the next time he said that the car was off the road and so he couldnt get to the DVLA office (I have now seen from his old posts that he has a 2nd car). Shortly after this I received a letter from the DVLA saying that I was now no longer the owner of the car. From looking through his old posts it seems that he has had some problems with the car, head gasket etc, but it was of course sold as seen. As far as I knew the car was in great mechanical nick, with only a recent slight thirst for water which I told him about. He is now ignoring my requests for my number plate and I can only guess that he intends on keeping my £80 retention fee to cover some of his repair costs.

I think that this is well out of order. What do you think?

I'd really appreciate any help/advice that anyone can offer as I really would like to put my plate on my van or at least get back ownership of it!

FWIW the retention fee is £105..............its £80 to transfer...........the £105 fee is made up of Transfer to another car ie £80 AND £25 for a years retention

and no matter how out of order it is,by the guy going back on his word.............legally once you've signed that car over,plate and all it becomes his

I completely understand that legally I have shot myself in the foot. But I was hoping that the guy might have had the decency to stick to our agreement.

As for the correct fee ..... if he had asked me for a further £25 after having gone to the DVLA office I would gladly have given it to him, but at the time the information on the web seemed to indicate that it would cost him £80 to put the plate on retention for me.

I completely understand that legally I have shot myself in the foot. But I was hoping that the guy might have had the decency to stick to our agreement.

As for the correct fee ..... if he had asked me for a further £25 after having gone to the DVLA office I would gladly have given it to him, but at the time the information on the web seemed to indicate that it would cost him £80 to put the plate on retention for me.

Ive done it with my 993,the agreement with the PO was to save time that I would put his number on retention in my name(with him paying) and once it had gone on retention would name him as a nominee so that it would go back to him.........FYI too though its always been £105 to put on retention even since 1995(when I put a number on retention)

That totally sucks, but I think your obviously trusing-nature has cost you the 'plate and the £80. I can't see that this will end well.

Unfortunately, I think you've little hope of getting your plate back. I'm guessing you don't have any kind of written agreement with the guy about what would happen. Presumably you have his address though - perhaps pay him a visit.

Uh Oh :( - No mention of the plate being sold with the car though..

no mention of it not being sold with the car either :?[/quote:3rey1z6h]

Indeed! :p

I reckon ross-taylor should call the guy up to arrange a "viewing" ;)

Note: Edited because I can't read!

This the one? - viewtopic.php?f=11&t=61464

He seemed happy with it at the time and as he says in the thread - 'I knew this car would have a few problems, and to be honest that’s why I bought it! If I wanted a trouble free lifeless car I would have got a loan and got an Audi tt!' - so he's hardly in a position to use any problems as a reason to keep your £80.

Love the outright lie in his Pistonheads ad - 'The car has never let me down'.

Looks like you'll have to chalk this one up to experience and be thankful that your trusting nature only cost you a relatively small amount.