Sign in to follow this  
yorkshireone

Lacquering alloys?

I had my D90s mirror polished a few months ago and Ive since had them in storage. I was just wondering whether I can get them clearcote lacquered or anything to protect the finish?

Thanks in advance :)

you can get a laquer called glisten pc from frosts restoration which sticks to polished metals, its a two part laquer and is tough as hell once its set, most other laquers will just go misty or peel on bare metal.

cheers, that stuff seems to look okay, just need to work out how to apply it now, dont really want to use a brush lol :? doesnt look like it comes in aerosol form...

they dont do it in an aerosol as it has to be mixed with an activator before applying it, i have some on order for doing the rims on my bbs wheels.

i have seen it being used on some porsche teledials and the brush marks completely dissapear as it sets, there arent any sprayable laquers that work on bare polished metals as far as i know.

Im in need of doing my polished rims too. The frosts stuff has been reccomended to me too but I thought it would be a spray :(

hi

ive heard you can get clear powder coat ,dont know first hand but if its powder coating it will be spot on i would have thought

thinking some more i think image put it on there alloys at customers request

was speaking to Dav at Pureklas about this and he's stopped doing Clear laquer as it's a real PITA apparently.

Just get winter wheels and keep the polished ones for when the salts off the road.

well ya can get clear powder coat, usualy added on top of another colour powder coat to give a gloss finish.

As i understand (might be wrong here), it needs the previous layer of powder coat to bond to properly.

basicaly anything high polished is gonna be a total b!£h for a coating to stick to so just be reallistic, some coatings may last a short while but probably not gonna be permenant.

Having said that i have also heard good things about the Frost's stuff mentioned above, worth a trial......