Sign in to follow this  
Zeal

Uprated 90amp alternator?(1.8 16v)

my alternator's started screaming at me, sounds like it's on the way out. does anyone know if i can uprate my 65amp to a 90amp from a golf gti 16v or passat?

Yup, these days GSF etc only stock the 90A one as a replacement for the standard 65A one.

Every time I've got one...the pulleys have needed to be swapped over though! :roll:

are you sure its the alternator? mine did this ages ago and it turned out to be the belt worn even though it didnt look it. Try a new belt ,its cheaper than an alternator! if it still squeels then at least you have a new belt to go with the new alternator

kool, how big is your stereo? ive got an all alpine setup with a 15 inch type r Sub and that never bothered the il 65 amp, a bigger alternator wont give you extra power. Its up to you tho 8)

ps if you are looking for power have a look at the optima red / yellow top batteries

kool, how big is your stereo? ive got an all alpine setup with a 15 inch type r Sub and that never bothered the il 65 amp, a bigger alternator wont give you extra power. Its up to you tho 8)

ps if you are looking for power have a look at the optima red / yellow top batteries

thought it might give a few extra horses :) ive got a sub/amp 16:9/amp nothing too big, but i do a lot of short journeys, so i thought a 90amp alternator might put more power back in the battery, quicker?

i'l have a look out for those battery's next time cheers,

a 90 amp alternator wont charge a battery quicker than a 65 amp one. it will be able to cope with higher current draws (dont think you will be drawing 90 amps even with everything turned on)

hope this helps

thanks, hopefully just need a new belt then, my friends always advising me to buy stuff i don't need, keep telling him he's just a panel beater. thank god for the Corrado Forum.

My alternator only starts to whine when i switch the headlights on, would this mean it's more likely the alternator itself? it's making a few knocking sounds too.

a 90 amp alternator wont charge a battery quicker than a 65 amp one.

hope this helps

really ? im thinking it does, my battery used to get run down on short trips, after the 90amp was fitted it was better