Sign in to follow this  
STUMACG60

fuel leak from centre tunnel near exhaust!

Hi I have been getting a strong smell of petrol when sitting stationary for more than a few seconds, I have replaced the three hoses under the bonnet at the regulator etc. So have ruled these out as there is no trace what so ever. It is really strong smelling under the gearstick also there was a damp area near the exhaust,not good surely with all that heat!!! I know there is two plastic pipes running the length of the car to and from the fuel tank.

Firstly are these readily available from stealers still? and how easy to replace.

Any advice or pt no`s for these would be great cheers

Stu

I had a leak on the feed pipe under the car, easy to replace and available from the stealers :)

newfuelfeedpipe.jpg

Black is feed/blue is return and the clear pipe is the fuel tank breather pipe.

Neil.

Worth also mentioning the breather pipe can also cause a smell from the engine bay if the Carbon canister has been removed - it needs to be vented to the airbox or hole in the wing...

I think your leak is most likely under the car tho either from a pipe as Riley says or the fuel filter maybe?

Aye, could be filter especially if not been changed for a while.

Forgot to add...Mine was leaking to the left of above pic (in the chassis) and there was a fair old patch of optimax :shock:

And whatever you do, don't just pull the old pipe off...Its a nighmare to get the new one on if you do.

Cut the old pipe and tape the new pipe to it so you can pull it through the chassis, easy :D

Hard work otherwise.

Neil.

Thanks geezers, Called Vw in Swindon today to get the hoses in the pic on order( Cheers Riley), apparently dont do them as of 2006 and no replacement either :(

The leak is definetly around gearstick area though,only when its been running, checked the filter again to make sure though nowt from there, I do have the Carbon Can removed and have tucked the breather away through the wing. I have noticed a fuel smell when I first did this, but its definetly stronger now!!! :o

dont know if this is any help but try looking at other vw models, my mate has a calibra that has metal fuel lines that rust. We went to a scrappy and got some fuel lines off a golf estate and they work a treat. they are quite flexible

Cheers,

I will be going to the local scrappy soonest for a look soon as possible, I wondered if a golf mk2 had the same floor pan design? If so might be able to get from a stealer unlike the rado ones :( Thanks everyone for the pics and ideas.

Stu

Found the leak,all sorted now. was tracking down from the flexi connection in the engine bay :D

Couldn`t see any holes or loose connection but I imagine it was expanding when pressurised and escaping, took a few second to develop.

Latestarter have you checked all the fuel pipes around the pressure regulator? I noticed it smells stronger around the ISV when first started aswell but like you say it goes away when warm, Do you have the carbon cannister removed? Like was sayed before unless its tucked out the way it does cause a strong smell? Happy hunting mate? Any probs mate I`m just down the road near Burford. MAy not be able to offer loads of advice but can laugh at each others rado issues :D :D