Sign in to follow this  
8vtornado

common g60 problems causing low MPG?

as above, what are the most common reasons for a g60 to return crap fuel consumption whilst NOT nailing it!!! and what testing procedures are there? thanks

as above, what are the most common reasons for a g60 to return crap fuel consumption whilst NOT nailing it!!! and what testing procedures are there? thanks

what figures u gettin?

That sounds correct mate - they are fairly good considering how fast they are but never designed for sitting in traffic - the engine is always running the charger so it's like having an extra (massive) alternator to drive, even worse if it's also air-con!

Heat is also an issue - they run up to 50% hotter than say an 8v GTi engine so heatsoak occurs very easily at low speeds.

The cold weather at the mooment is great for performance but also remember the car will be on the warm-up / fuel enrichment map for longer so again using more juice.

well i got about 34 on the motorway which dont seem too bad but about 21- 24 on the way to work :shock: my old 8v golf used to get 30+

over a 1000 miles varied diving styles (like a bat out of hell and like a granny) i average 30.5mpg

i suppose it was cold this morning... (of all days to use the corrado! im used to a 57 reg fiesta with a heated front screen!!) i didnt think the charger drained that much from the engine!!! its just the first time iv used my g60 and i was expecting higher figures.

common g60 problems causing low MPG?

The accelerator pedal! G60's (and more specifically modified G60's) are absolutely awful on fuel. The figures you're getting sound good - especially the motorway ones!

That motorway figure looks realy good, and even the town ones look fine. Are you going off the MFA or actually working out fuel consumption - the MFA's can play up.... To put your figures into context I get about 30 on the motorways (doing just a tad over 70 of course) and 20ish round town, and mines 'tweaked' to say the least, although I do drive like an old fart at times :lol: :lol:

The accelerator pedal! G60's (and more specifically modified G60's) are absolutely awful on fuel. The figures you're getting sound good - especially the motorway ones!

Was yours much worse than the 9A then?

did you ever take ur foot off the floor? how are these engines sooo unefficient?!

I would go off on a massive engineering rant, but i'm already seriously behind with uni work (stupid corrado purchase!) and am crazy tired.

But junkie summed it up! :lol:

I get an average 30 - 32mpg on my G60 - just about 200 miles out of 30 quid at todays prices, engines completely standard, albeit with a few leaks.

Most significant improvement was after I changed all the top end gaskets last year inc. the head gasket. Had some work done on the head which no doubt tightened up the compression abit. Whilst connecting everything back together I found a leaking vacuum pipe around the back of the inlet mani, TB side - worth a check as I think the vacuum lines contribute heavily to the MFA reading.

I am lucky to get 300 miles out of a full tank. But most of it is commuting 12 miles each way to work with a heavy foot.

Shouldnt really as it is not really enough time to let the engine warm up. but never take her over 3000 rpm. On a long journy will get about 350-400 out of a tank.

ok thanks m4n1, il have a look at my vac pipes. ive rebuilt the head, charger, and everything is standard. how did you find the vac leak?! and yes it was off the MFA, ill have to check it properly, aint been able to afford to fill the petrol tank up, its sooo massive!!!!

8v tornado, found the vac leak in the pipe which bends around the back of the inlet manifold - it bends around quite abit and it split right at the end of the metal tube which it slips over. I added a small section of pipe in with a curvy bend to stop it happening again.

Damn vac pipes! Had so much trouble on my mk2 driver carburettors with leaky vac pipes.

My fuel economy has somehow dropped about 5 mpg now after changing the timing belt tensioner. Either the belt is too tight or the tensioner I fitted has siezed being just as bad as the old one! OR it could from some high resistance in one of the auxiliary components. Trouble is finding out which one it is! They all spin freely when the belt is off.

That Mk4 TDI is becoming somewhat more appealing these days... :(

itll probably most likely be the alternator as that gets alot stiffer when the electricity is passing thru it, but normally its stuggling for a reason, youd probably notice a battery light on or summin. a new tensioner definately shouldnt be seizing mate. good luck with that anyway.

I didn't fit a brand new tensioner - I had one knocking around in the garage. Turns out the timing belt was slightly too tight. I slackened off some tension which got rid of the the dreaded whining noise... a good seeing to and some long runs on the motorway and i'm back up by the 30's.

lol good! i changed the timing belt n tensioner on minea while back and it is awkward when u put it back thinkin "is that tight enough?" glad u sorted it. im on a mission to sort out my abs, brakes and suspension at the mo, the standard stuff (specially 15 yrs oold) aint much cop at the mo!!

if you are doing a lot of motorway driving get the vr 1st, 2nd and 5th gears put in I can sit at 80 just over 3k rpm and get 38mpg but the when heavy foot kicks in the low 1st n 2nd are great :D