Sign in to follow this  
8vtornado

dash displaying -P- and resetting?!?!

what does this mean?! it seems to be when i start the car with the sidelights on, ive only noticed it today, it displays -P- and resets the time and mfa and trip. i dont understand what it is, has anyone else ever experienced this?

while im at it, do any other g60 owners with a standard exhaust hear a sort of ticking from the exhaust as i cant find a leak anywhere but it ticks and annoys me!

one last thing, people put in a thermostat and fan thermo switch from another engine so the stat opens sooner and the car runs at a sensible temperature, what is the stat and switch from and wots the temperatures? (dont think mine has a stat in it at all at the mo so want to put a low temp one in)

thanks for looking

Thermostat off a Mk 1 golf, but just doing that will still make the car run hot, what you need is an external oil cooler to maintain sensible temps.

what like just a 1.8 8v gti? id like to get an oil cooler at some point,think is it stays cool atm, oil about 90 on m'way and 98 in traffic, coolant 70 on m'way and 90 in traffic, its just that it takes too long to warm up that annoys me!

But putting a lower temp stat in will make it take longer as it opens earlier.

If you put a oil cooler on then you can still use a stat so it opens when its warm and not constantly cooling.

Cant remember what its off engine wise but Mk1 def.

Neuspeed do them as well

Oh yes and if our maintaining those sensible temps then your not driving it properly or you have not had it long, wait till summer comes.

nah not had it on the road long and not taken it over 4k as i rebuilt the charger. and it will heat up quicker than if it has no stat at all at the mo. i cant wait to drive it "properly" i just know i have to wait a while.... almost there!

Been there and done it too many times, its a right pain in the proverbial.

Yea if you had a stat then it should heat up quicker, remember your not supposed to take it over 3k till the oil temp is 80deg

i am careful and watch for that, tahts why its annoying me that it dont warm aup quick enough!!!!

anyone got any ideas on the rest? ^^

I've never seen it first hand - but the gauge pod resetting itself either indicates gash wiring somewhere or that the gauges have been tampered with and possibly clocked.

I'd check the wiring first though - get the pod out and see if any wires look suspect. You can take the whole pod apart fairly easily and check for any dodgy goings on in there too.

ive had the engine in bits and its in far too good condition to have been clocked i would have thought, and i have full service history on it and it all adds up. its just strange, its as if there is not enough power from the battery when starting with the lights n stereo on so the mfa acts as if its had the battery disconnected. its all been fine the rest of the time.