Sign in to follow this  
skinnyman9000

Oil in the air intake system

Firstly, im not a quiz with engines so please be gentle if what im saying sounds complete tripe.

But basically, in a bid to solve my idling problem, ive just taken apart the air intake pipes and the air filter housing to find oil everywhere! There is a puddle of oil in the bottom of the air filter housing, and i have oil coating the inside of the air intake pipes between the air filter housing and the throttle housing! There is also a small amount of oil in the pipes leading from the air intake pipes to the ISV. Basically there appears to be oil in alot of places where it doesn't belong.

So really i need to know, what the hell is going on!?!?!

If its the same as the 1.8 KR Golf engine then id say that the breather pipe has collapsed. You can only get them from VAG and there something like £80. Quite a common problem with that engine.

^^ exactly what I had too on my Mk2. Clean out everything with brake cleaner and if the pipe from the crankcase breather (from the front of the engine block running to the side of the airbox) is soft, change it.

This happens also if the oil is overfilled past the max mark.

^^ exactly what I had too on my Mk2. Clean out everything with brake cleaner and if the pipe from the crankcase breather (from the front of the engine block running to the side of the airbox) is soft, change it.

This happens also if the oil is overfilled past the max mark.

Well when the oil pump went the spanner monkeys at the local garage overfilled it, so that probably didnt help. I took that pipe off that's mentioned above and there was some nice white gunk blocking the end of it. I've cleaned it out, hopefully solving the problem. If not i'll hopefully get hold of one from a scappy, sod paying £80 for one!!