Sign in to follow this  
harin

Urgent FK suspension help

Quick (probably silly) question....I'm fitting Fk Highsport coilovers to my VR6 and have hit a small problem.

The FK kit comes with 2 bolts, one goes above the bush and the rubber mount (number 6 in the original suspension pic attached) and the other above all of the that (number 5 in the pic). Now in a "The Golf" mag how to its says use the original rubber mount bolt but the threading on the bolts seem to be slightly different and it doesn't want to screw on properly (pic attached of 2 bolts).

My question to anyone who's fitted an Fk coilover kit: is it okay to use the FK supplied bolt as it is thicker and like a normal bolt whereas the VW one is thinner and has a small lip on it. I don't want to risk trying the VW bolt and ruin the thread on the new suspension.

Any help would be much appreciated. I am so close yet so far!

rgds

Harin

Personally I'd just use the FK Nut (Not bolt! :) ) Not worth chewing the thread on your nice new struts.

Thread pitch looks the same from the pic but would be hard to tell if it was .25mm different... does the FK nut thread onto the old shock??

Personally I'd just use the FK Nut (Not bolt! :) ) Not worth chewing the thread on your nice new struts.

You know i thought that never sounded right when i was typing it! :)

No the FK nut doesn't thread onto the old shock. Goes about 1/3 of the way in then becomes really hard to rotate.

sweet i'll use the FK nuts then....nearly done the fronts should have it wrapped up today...although still can't drive the car cause of an immobilser fault :(

Cheers for the help fellas!

rgds,

Harin

Thanks for the help guys managed to get the whole lot done before it went dark...haven't driven it yet but she looks sweet. Wanted to take some pics but battery died on my camera! Another mistake i made was that i forgot to measure standard ride height before i started...will do some measurements and take some pics next week i think.

If i was to do it again iId definitely find a driveway i could use...reckon working on the road slowed me down a lot.

Also if anyone else is doing this go easy on the top mount allen key bolts...i ended up cracking mine at the top(Don't ask :)) and couldn't get hold of a impact gun so i had to drill 2 of them out....it was a painstakingly slow process!

But all in all it went smoothly i think! Next long drive will be to trimwizard in horsham (!) week after next....hope i tightened everything up properly! :?

u should check your top turrets under the hood and see if your suspension isnt sticking up to far and forcing the top plate up, thats what mines doing, im beggining to think the fk supplied nuts are two thick . . .

Martyn

Just had a quick look and it looks like they are sitting a little high, i would say about 1cm and you can clearly see the top mount rubber underneath. I'm pretty sure they weren't this high when i first put them in.

Another thing i have also noticed is a knocking and juddering noise when the wheels start spinning. Could that also be related?

Hi Guys

I was just about to start another thread concerning my Weitec Hicon GT coilovers installed this weekend as I am having similar problems.

Everything seems to be installed correctly although the front ride height is a little uneven, but I am also hearing knocking noises when driving the car.

It is a regular knock that seems to occur at wheel speed (i,e speed related and rotational sounding), the knocking only happens when not accelerating though i.e either letting off the power and letting the engine slow the car down or when braking or when the clutch is in)

I am suspecting wheel bearing / driveshaft area as the source of the noise although car was fine before swapping out the suspension. Is it possible hat with out a proper wheel alignment that the front wheel(s) aren't running true and causing uneven load on the bearings? The front bearings only have about 1000 miles on them.

Any other possible causes?

Lol... feel like an idiot now!

Turns out that I hadn't properly tightend up the drivers side front wheel bolts, hence the car exhibiting the problem of shot wheel bearings

Nipped them up tight and drives smooth again...

As they say.. the simplest explaination is generally the correct one....