Sign in to follow this  
was8v

what the hell! Weird 1992 VR6 Oil filter

Just pulled the oil filter off my VR6 and my new filter doesn't fit.

Attached to the big black filter housing cap is a tube with holes in that goes up the middle of the filter. The filter itself has a bigger hole in the middle. and plastic ends. Its marked Hengst and VW and has a VW part number.

Now the replacement filter I have is the same as I've used on previous VR6s has metal caps either end and a smallish hole down the middle with one way valve. There is no whay this will fit my car.... weird.

I was pushed for time so had to put the old filter back, I wish I had took a picture or written the part number down. Euro car parts only list one filter for the VR6 engine - the wrong one for my car which i already have.

I'm going to the stealers this PM so will investigate this further!

This must be another dizzy engine difference!

Yep, there are two types of filter on the VR6. The plastic kind you have and the metal kind.

The plastic type was more common on the Golf VR6, but I guess a few corrados got that type too.

There is only one for the Corrado VR6 but Euro / GSF always sell the wrong one.

021 115 562

Mahle 0x125

Mann 932/5x

The one you have is most likely for a late AAA engine

Righto, just been to the dealer.

I had him search for a 92 Corrado VR6 and a 95 VR6 and the filters were the same part number.

It looks like corrado VR6's ABV always had the metal ended filter.

It also looks like I have a cap and matching plastic ended filter from some other VR6, not really a surprise as the cap is easily overtightened and damaged.

I guess I'll have to trawl GSF for a golf VR6 with a filter with a differnt part number to a corrado and cross my fingers.

Ok thanks turbo charged I think you are right!

GSF stocks the folowing for corrados:

MMH932/5X OIL FILTER CO VR6 8/91 > Eng. No. ABV023000

An these 2 for golf VR6:

MMH932/5X OIL FILTER G3 VR6 1/92 >11/95 (>Eng. No. AAA176888)

MMHU932/6N OIL FILTER G3 VR6 11/95 >12/97 (Eng.No. AAA176889>)

So it looks like I need the late golf filter as the part number is different (its also a bit cheaper :) )

Will order one now. Nice of the previous owner to let me know about that one .......

Right - thanks for your input everyone, Filter for a late golf VR6 has arrived from GSF (free next day delivery for web orders!) and looks to be the correct one for my filter cap!

I hope theres no difference in the engine part of the filter housing.........

Personally I'd use the proper ABV filter as it has a non-return valve in it. The plastic one doesn't. I suspect the Golf used a slightly different filter housing (the big alloy bit).

Personally I'd use the proper ABV filter as it has a non-return valve in it. The plastic one doesn't. I suspect the Golf used a slightly different filter housing (the big alloy bit).

I don't think GSF filters have non-return valves in full stop. They sure didn't for Mk2 Golf engines (8 and 16)

The complete engine number is stamped into the block above the water pump pulley. Might need to sand it with some emery cloth to see it. Cross reference it with the one on your log book.

Sometimes the "engine code" is also stamped on the flat bit of the block underneath the chain tensioner bolt. AAA or ABV.