aclwalker

Toyo offering replacement space saver tyres now?

I'm in the market for new tyres as my slow puncture has developed into a fast one. I've currently got Toyo Proxes T1-S which I'm very happy with. It seems that they are all but discontinued though, even though the brochure I downloaded from the Toyo website itself lists them for the 205/50/15 size (VR6 size) as being one of the "remaining twelve" sizes they will continue to make them in. Doesn't seem easy to source them though. I'll probably try the T1-R now though. Or does anyone know a supplier for the T1-S for 205/50/15 size?

Anyway, I've been re-reading about the space saver tyre, as I remembered people saying that they were no longer available, but I found the following interesting tyre:

http://www.rotationuk.com/tyres-online/gbu0-prodshow/toyo_e08a_125_70_15_95_m_spare_tyre.html

http://www.easityre.com/w-125pr-70dia-15id-Toy-174802-E08A-125/70/15-95-

So Toyo appear to do a range of temporary spare tyres called E08A. The first link prices them at £41.75 but the second is selling them for £33.55.

The PDF brochure from the Toyo website also mentions this:

Temporary use spares. Comprehensive range available. Please contact Toyo on 01933 411 144.

My space saver has actually never been used but I thought some of you might find this useful and maybe fancy enquiring about it.

The size mentioned seems to match one of the sizes that the Wiki mentions for the space saver but it isn't really very clear as it mentions two different sizes and mentions a date cut-off for the non-VR6 models, but not for the VR6 models. Does anyone know what is the correct size for what dates? Perhaps somebody who knows could update it? This would be useful for people to know.

I could check my car when I go home and see what size of space saver I have.

125/70/15 are also 2cv stock sizes.. used to run them on the fronts of seriously low air-cooleds back in the day.. Think Michelen still do "Normal speed" tyres in this size?

125/70/15 are also 2cv stock sizes.. used to run them on the fronts of seriously low air-cooleds back in the day.. Think Michelen still do "Normal speed" tyres in this size?

I see. The links above do specify that these are temporary spare tyres though. It could be useful for people who want to just keep the car as original as possible and still maintain a usable spare without having to encroach on the boot space.

The 2CV wheels were seriously skinny! And only held on with three bolts, IIRC!

Yup they were hence the need for a 125 series tyre! The Dyane actually had a set of "sports" tyres at a whopping 135...

Michelin XzX was they tyre of choice..

Sorry, I know it's probably bad form to bump your own posts, but I thought maybe others would be interested in a potential replacement space saver tyre (see my first post) and maybe missed this thread the first time round. Perhaps the info could go in the tyre part of the knowledge base if it turns out to be correct (I've not confirmed it myself)?

I agree with the last comment on that thread. It's not like we need to travel mega miles in the UK, even to most major shows. Also with the advent of the 'internet', it's pretty easy to just whip your phone out and call a mobile tyre fitter for side of the road assistance, or use the space saver to get you to the nearest shop. One thing I will say though, tyres are supposed to have a 5 year shelf life. How long has your spare been on that rim in the boot for!?