Sign in to follow this  
I Need Help!

My new project

Hi all,

Well, I have been dying to jump in and get a project car to do something silly with. I was umming and arring about getting an old style land rover, stripping it down and making a buggy out of it. However I bumped into an old friend today who told me he has several cars at his house.

One he just hasn't the time for so he asked me if I wanted it.

Its a 1.8 16v VW Corrado, I only recently learned about the Corrado and I really like them. Yes they are approaching 20 years old now but I still think that they are one of the best looking cars of that type and time.

It's white, lowered, custom exhaust system and 17" alloys. Been sitting for a year now but my mate said it has always started first time, although it hasn't been run in nearly 6 months. The only major problem with it is that he has an accident in it and completely damaged the right side. He has quotes for £5K for repairs.

The main problem is the sill has been pushed in so it needs a new sill and floor pan, drivers door, front wing and the rear quarter needs some attention. The car has been tested by a local body shop and is still straight.

By now I bet your thinking that I am completely bonkers, but here is the best part, I paid my mate absolutely nothing for it

That leaves me with 3 options:

1) Strip it and sell all the parts bringing in £4K+, although I don't really want to do this.

2) Browse around for one that is just a shell and transfer all the bits over.

3) Have a go at the repairs myself for the experience and if it fails do points 1 or 2.

Now I would like to do something silly like either repair it and fit it out for the track with full roll cage etc, or try turning it into a convertable just to see if I can.

My knowledge is limited and the only thing I risk wasting is my time. I have several books and know most of the theory behind the repairs but lack the experience, tools and parts.

Anyone here ever done anything similar to this regarding restoring what could be considered a write off?

Anyone any recommendations for cheap/2nd hand tools other than ebay? Also, does anyone know how I would go about buying the replacement sill and floor?

Now you are all free to call me mad and anything else but I would be grateful if at least some of the comments could be helpful

Browse around for one that is just a shell and transfer all the bits over.

I reckon that's going to be your best bet. Shells crop up on here a lot cause people break cars and end up with rolling shells that they can't get rid of. For the sheer amount and cost of repairing bent bodywork, it probably just isn't doing option a!

Plus as you strip bits and move them onto the new car, you can rebush things, fit new replacements for worn bits and pieces and basically get the car 100% ship shape :)

That leaves me with 3 options:

1) Strip it and sell all the parts bringing in £4K+, although I don't really want to do this.

2) Browse around for one that is just a shell and transfer all the bits over.

3) Have a go at the repairs myself for the experience and if it fails do points 1 or 2.

1) In all fairness I don't think you would get anything close to that amount of money for stripping a valver, I'd say you are looking at more like 1-1.5k

2) I'd say that's a good idea Mr Beige has his 16v shell coming up for sale soon too afaik 8)

3) The damage you have listed above makes it sound like it is "beyond economic repair" tbh :(

:shock: £4k???? - unless there's some seriously expensive coilovers/wheels/exhaust on it you'll be pushed to get £1k from braking a accident damaged valver mate, let alone £4k+!!

I'd say the same as the others, the best option would be to swap the good bits over to a different shell or brake it and get a few quid in.

The mate who gave me the car said £4K, like I said I am pretty new to the Corrado scene so wasn't too sure. :)

I know the alloys had only been on the car about a week before the accident, plus 4 new tyres. The suspension upgrades are the same.

The exhaust was about 1 month old and is from the manifold back with a decat. Made the mistake of starting it in his garage, loud enough to hurt your ears. Plus I know there is about £800 of ICE installed.

The only reason that I was even considering doing the repair myself was purely from an educational view point. I am aware that I would probably fail but it would be fun trying however, unless I can find somewhere that even sells the sill I will be forced to look for a shell.

The mate who gave me the car said £4K, like I said I am pretty new to the Corrado scene so wasn't too sure. :)

I know the alloys had only been on the car about a week before the accident, plus 4 new tyres. The suspension upgrades are the same.

The exhaust was about 1 month old and is from the manifold back with a decat. Made the mistake of starting it in his garage, loud enough to hurt your ears. Plus I know there is about £800 of ICE installed.

The only reason that I was even considering doing the repair myself was purely from an educational view point. I am aware that I would probably fail but it would be fun trying however, unless I can find somewhere that even sells the sill I will be forced to look for a shell.

I broke mine (long story) and I've got no where near 4k. I'll be lucky to see 2k and that's with 16"x9" Borbet A's, koni T/As and H&R springs, magnex, £1500 of audio and no accident damage. (I've replied to your post in my for sale thread by the way)

As far as reshelling is concerned, its a good way to learn the ins and outs of the Corrado. I reckon the knowledge of how the car fits together, is well worth it.