Sign in to follow this  
mtc R32

Private plates!!!! - Info needed

Looking for alittle info guys.....

Went to look at a Dub last night, Got no MOT but has a private plate on the car.

The owner wants to keep the plate!

Can the plate be taken off the car and put onto retention without a valid MOT cert? I'm sure I read somewhere that it couldn't

Any help appreciated

8)

The donor vehicle must have a current MOT for a plate to be transfered or put on retention

ok.... so to recap!

If he wants to take the plate off the car and place it on retention, he will defo have to put an MOT on the car before he can do so.

How stupid is that!!!!!! I'd understand if he wanted to take the plate off the car and onto another....

Well thats gonna put a spanner in the works.... He'll want more money if he does that (Foober)

Alright Jay...

Tried alsorts with him, but he's not playing ball....

tbh i think it failed on alot more, but that doesn't really matter to me, as i don't mind getting my hands dirty...

He's just so particular about his plate... I reckon he doesn't want to MOT it because the garage are charging him alot to repair.

I HATE PRIVATE PLATES..... AND DVLA ARE W*NKERS :(

Yeah, they're more bother than they are worth most of the time! Is it a Corrado 1.8T or a MKII Golf then?

Oh and hows the Audi coming on?

Its nothing to do with the reg number being retained, is cos the car its coming off has to be road worthy, Tax'd and MOT'd basically as it is going to be assigned its old plate.

if its got no tax then depending on the year registered the plate can be put on retention if done before 6 months after it has expired or 12months for cars registered after 93 or something like that.

its worth pointing out that technically a un mot'd car has lost its right to have a private plate, as the plate belongs to the DVLA not the owner of the car, when you get a private plate you pay for the license to use it, not the plate or something to that effect.

Alright Jay...

Tried alsorts with him, but he's not playing ball....

tbh i think it failed on alot more, but that doesn't really matter to me, as i don't mind getting my hands dirty...

He's just so particular about his plate... I reckon he doesn't want to MOT it because the garage are charging him alot to repair.

I HATE PRIVATE PLATES..... AND DVLA ARE W*NKERS :(

When i did mine the fekers at the DVLA, looked at me really oddly, "we need to check your car sir" oh poo "why" "cant say at this point sir" he said ,with a booger feker look on his face. i had to take it down to brighton a week later for a check over, that was a long week, recond id bought a wrongan, turns out they just do that some times, but the butt face wouldn't tell me that, DVLA POO POCKER.

ok.... so to recap!

If he wants to take the plate off the car and place it on retention, he will defo have to put an MOT on the car before he can do so.

How stupid is that!!!!!! I'd understand if he wanted to take the plate off the car and onto another....

Well thats gonna put a spanner in the works.... He'll want more money if he does that (Foober)

they want the car mot d otherwise you could take any plate off any thing in a scrap yard and they would nt want that you might make some money with out them .

Yeah defo needs an MOT or the plate has to already be on retention certificate for it to be transfered onto another car which also has to be taxed and mot`d :lol:

I just got my G60 *** plate so it will be wearing that soon as its re assigned :D

if he wont get it mot`d hes obviously not that bothered? the car or the plate can go nowhere untill he sorts it out, cant he just let you buy the car sort it out then allow him the plate back once you have re mot`d it?

mind you i can understand his reluctance as a friend of mine bought a range rover with a private plate A1 AEU and subsequently found the vehicle had a damaged chasis so kept the plate as "payment" :D as the guy got all funny with him