Sign in to follow this  
drunkenmunkey

New car marketing balls! grrr

I had the misfortune to lose my VR6 in an accident with a drunken driver and ended up replacing it with a nice sensible Skoda Roomster, anyway, I went on the Skoda forum and they're all moony over the new Fabia 1.2 SPORT! :D It really gets on my tits, there are 11 pages of people talking about space, blah, mpg, blah,blah, blah, I mentioned that it is and never will be a 'sports car' it's as pointless as labelling a Lotus Elise MPV limited edition because it has wipe clean seats and airbags! I fear I may have offended some of the members with this remark :) - What the hell is going on? Have people lost the ability to use the analytical and reasoning buttons on their brains?

My brief entrance to the world of the mundane modern car has lead me to hanker after the delights of Corrado ownership again but I worry that it may be too late and I must be culled like the other farm animals which apparently inhabit the modern car world. Waffle over... :)

I'm sure they really appreciated your comments!

At the end of the day i'm sure they're well aware their 1.2 litre engined motors aren't exactly Ferrari's, but then neither are our Corrado's. Horses for courses and all that! Given the cost of a new Skoda is going to be way more than any second hand Corrado (and subsequently any of those folks could have easily been able to afford a Corrado), what point were you trying to prove exactly?

^ That there are sad people out there with miopic asperations of driving "people carriers" and "economical" 950 cc school run mobiles! low tax band, 80 mpg etc etc

I have lost count of the amount of 30-50 year old men in some insipid "people carrier van" that have tried to "race" me in any of my dubs off of lights or failed to accept your faster than them on motorways, it seems as soon as they see a "nice" car, this envokes the "i dont need a fast car i have a people carrier thats just as good" reaction from the sados who didnt really want an mpv but their wife is a baby factory!

Prehaps they should have kept control of their loins then maybe they could have a nice car instead of a football team of children and a "van" to drive around in :lol:

Its an evil monster is envy :D

Personally I don't object to them actually buying the cars, it's their money IMHO, what I object to is the marketing strategy that a 1.2l could ever be a sport! I have conversations with non-motor enthusiasts at work who proudly come and tell you that they've paid the extra £100s to have, what is essentially a sport sticker and some fog lights, on their [insert typical company car]. It just seems that people are being taken for a ride which is sickening, yet they let themselves believe all that bollox and gladly pay extra :? or they genuinely believe it which is just as bad. On the website I tried to and point out that it makes no sense and that they could potentially be paying more for essentially nothing but a name.

I aim to make no point, just venting - in case I offend any sensitive souls.

VW group have a very strange policy on upgrades now, my father in law has just bought one of the last Edition 30 GTI`s with DSG, when he ordered it he ended up paying twice for some of the extras! as if you had DSG you got X Y or Z with it, if you had sat nav you got X Y or Z with it, if you had Zenons etc etc so basicly as he had so many extras "PACKS" he ended up paying for folding mirrors twice, paddle shift twice and some other stuff, the dealers couldnt (or wouldnt) refund differences but buttered him up with some other freebies

All car manafacturers try and offer these extras so the "poverty pack" cars make the people who buy them feel a bit better about the money they spent on what is esentially a bottom of the range car!

I have lost count of the amount of 30-50 year old men in some insipid "people carrier van" that have tried to "race" me in any of my dubs off of lights or failed to accept your faster than them on motorways, it seems as soon as they see a "nice" car, this envokes the "i dont need a fast car i have a people carrier thats just as good" reaction from the sados who didnt really want an mpv but their wife is a baby factory!

Prehaps they should have kept control of their loins then maybe they could have a nice car instead of a football team of children and a "van" to drive around in :lol:

PMSL I used to drive my wife clio 1.2 16v alot (it's a long story) but after I managed to get a rear drum shoe lining to come away from the shoe and then the clutch lining failed on me I thought I'd better get another old VW to drive. Hence the Corrado. I was ragging the arse of the clio trying to go as quickly as I used to in my old golf Gti hence the failures. Anyway I now have two children a MiniMPV and don't suffer road race rage as I have the corrado to satisfy my needs.

I know where your coming from though there are a lot of men out there in practical family cars trying to force themselves into believing it something special to behold. They could have a special day at santa pod every year for them. They could run their cars with the child seat stripped out to improve their quarter miles.

They are stuck between a rock and hard place though in the fast lane, they've got the engine screaming at them and doing nothing, the wifes in the passenger seat telling them to slow down, two kids moaning/crying in the back and then they have YOU on their tale wondering why they don't go quicker! :lol: Poor Sods!

M25 (or other M-way for that matter) you see the same every day....

Sad looking man in a tie with the look of one who's soul has been sucked out of his genetals and is forced to drive a Galaxy, but doesn't accept that he should move over for anything!

Least my mate with 3 sprogs has made the missus drive the Sharan and he has a Mk1 Caddy/ 50 Pontiac Lead-slead and a splitty!

Other mate with 4 has a "Pissrat estate" (but more for work as he lugs stuff about) and the Missus has a T25 Micro-bus!

One mate bought his wife an 83 911 when they had their first child, all becaiuse you can fit the buggy in the "boot", the kiddie seat on the passenger seat and the bag-o-nappies fits on the rear "shelf" (Seat)... How chuffed was she? Very!

Thus proving you CAN have kids and a life with petrol...