Sign in to follow this  
phatso

Converting Grey to Black

I have got most of the parts now to finnish the conversion that had been started on my C, I am just wondering as the last few parts, I still need a dash board and some of the trims to go round the inside of the boot window.

Till i can get some propper black trims for the boot, do you think it would look ok if i took the grey ones out and sprayed them black? :shock:

Also how hard is it to change the dashboard over, i mean is it a 1/2 days work or am i looking at a full weekend to do just the dash?

While i have the dash out i am tempted to replace the cubby hole with a set of guages and possibily delete the ash tray. Also i want to hard wire my gps speed cam thingy into the dash and hide it in the lower part of the main cluster, powered via a relay triggered by an ignition live.

Can't see a problem with spraying the boot trims black, as long as you use the correct paint that bonds itself to the plastic, it shouldn't flake off.

As far as the dash is concerned, it'll take a day. There are two really awkward bolts that go through to the scuttle tray under the wiper motor, that are a bee-atch to get to, but apart from that, dead easy. Are you after a early or late spec black dash? I have a late one for sale in the for sale section here.

I have a 91 g60 so i presume its an early style i need, shame as it would be nice to do the dash while doing the rest of the trim. I know they are but what is different on the later dash?

Yeah you're will be an early dash if the cars a 91.

The main difference between the late/early dash's are the heater controlls - the early dash has the slider type and the late dash has dials and a few other minor changes.

Here's a pic of the early..

1960%20VW%20V%20ert%20pics%20to%20OLD%20BUGS%20COM%207-2007%20014.jpg

And the late..

kitt_dashboard.jpg

Till i can get some propper black trims for the boot, do you think it would look ok if i took the grey ones out and sprayed them black? :shock:

Been there, done that :lol: Yep, easy to do, and looks good as new. Dgarwood is selling some vinyl/plastic spray at the moment and I've been using that to respray most of my interior trim. Seems pretty good. Also been using the some other stuff called Vinylkote from Woolies (not Woolworths) car restorers. It is a 3 part system, a cleaner, a prep (which softens the plastic) and the spray. The idea is that the plastic once softened takes the paint slightly into it and you get a much better bonding. Costs alot more than the normal plastic spray though. There should be some pics in my gallery....

I might have some of that there rear black trim you're looking for, we stripped EVERYTHING out of that shell before we cut it up! It was a K reg too so would have had black inner panels.

Send me some pics of the trims you're looking for and I'll have a rimmage tomorrow :thumb right:

Send me some pics of the trims you're looking for and I'll have a rimmage tomorrow :thumb right:

Maybe just my sense of humour, but PMSL :lol: :lol:

Yeah you're will be an early dash if the cars a 91.

The main difference between the late/early dash's are the heater controlls - the early dash has the slider type and the late dash has dials and a few other minor changes.

Here's a pic of the early..

1960%20VW%20V%20ert%20pics%20to%20OLD%20BUGS%20COM%207-2007%20014.jpg

And the late..

kitt_dashboard.jpg

Is it me? I can't see any dail controls on that late dash :lol:

you sick mofo :lol: :lol: :lol:

if it stops raining tomorrow i will try and get some pics of the bits i still need, I am going to pickup the carpets tomorrow so nearly got all the bits for stage 1 sorted out. i need to get the carpets fitted and the black trim finnished for the main parts of the car and then i will do the dash as a second stage.

Main bits left that i need are the boot trims both the ones round the window and the bits that cover the wiper and soiler mech's, and the lower section under the door on the drivers side.

you sick mofo :lol: :lol: :lol:[/quote:3dw5tpeg]

Sorry boost monkey, couldn't resist. Still giggling about it now tho :lol:

if it stops raining tomorrow i will try and get some pics of the bits i still need, I am going to pickup the carpets tomorrow so nearly got all the bits for stage 1 sorted out. i need to get the carpets fitted and the black trim finnished for the main parts of the car and then i will do the dash as a second stage.

Main bits left that i need are the boot trims both the ones round the window and the bits that cover the wiper and soiler mech's, and the lower section under the door on the drivers side.

yeah do it, I have a stack of stuff out back that I only removed from the shell so it won't get cut up, but I think it might get chucked away.

I'll check your pics and see if I have any of it.

@JMC, oh dear... :wink: