Sign in to follow this  
chimo

dash mod question special tools?

Bit by bit I've piecing together the stuff needed to do a late spec dash swap. I was installing the side vents today and came to the top screw on the passanger side. It wouldn't budge, and I could barely bind to it at all.

Is there some sort of tool used to extract these srews? We ran into trouble with Dinkus' dash as well.... little screw, impossible angle.... locked in tight.

Can anyone shed some light on this one?

Andrew

First time I removed those vents I had to resort to clasping a philips head screwdriver bit sideways in a vice grips, and using that to (gradually) remove the screw.

Since then I have got a screwdriver set with a 90 deg ratchet type driver (like a mini version of a standard 3/8 socket ratchet driver) which fits in there perfectly and gets the screw out in a few secs.

Next time you see a Snap On man, go on and buy one of these for about a tenner, takes all standard 1/4" hex bits http://buy1.snapon.com/catalog/item.asp?P65=&tool=all&item_ID=75046&group_ID=11620&store=uk&dir=catalog. You don't need the full set as in the link but there's no picture of an individual one.

You'll wonder how you ever did anything without one!

Just grip the head in a pair of pliers instead of trying to use the crosshead bit....Then put a thumb screw back in for next time.... :D

I thinkI used the screwdriver on a Swiss Army knife to do this laster year!

Took a while but worked pretty well, but did wish I had a socket attachment at the time.