Sign in to follow this  
jedi-knight83

Top Gear Article - VR6 Corrado

i must admit that i was well impressed with Nick's C 8) ......i think he did us well proud by having his one featured i'm sure they wouldn't have been able to find a finer totally standard specimen for it........and i was actually impressed with hammond's piece on it........loved the merc cosworth too....nice 80's/90's classic 8)

Yeah.. Hammond said all the right stuff.

The VR6 engine sounded mighty when he floored it past the camera as well.. such a distinctive howl!! :)

merc cosworths are nice too. Interior is a bit to 80s tho :)

Was one of the cars I had on list before C:

Corrado G60/VR6

MK2 Golf G60/VR6 conversion

Audi UR Quattro

E36 325 :/ (Glad I didn't)

Still think a black lowered merc cos looks awesome :)

Anyone here driven one? comparisons with C?

merc cosworths are nice too. Interior is a bit to 80s tho :)

Was one of the cars I had on list before C:

Corrado G60/VR6

MK2 Golf G60/VR6 conversion

Audi UR Quattro

E36 325 :/ (Glad I didn't)

Still think a black lowered merc cos looks awesome :)

Anyone here driven one? comparisons with C?

yip test drove a 190E 2.3 16v Cosworth(the proper one*)

dogleg box took a bit of getting used too but it had a fair turn of speed and was totally bizarre revving a merc well past 6k revs.....though at the time i also had a friend of a friend who had one til his engine went bye..........and he had to price up a new block and head from Merc......£7k!!!!!!!

*2.3 16v's had the heads actually made by Cosworth whereas the 2.5 16v's had the heads made by Mercedes to a cosworth design IIRC

Thanks guys - nice one Roddy! :D

There are a few stone chips but really not many - no respray for sure. I know the previous owner and the car has a total history. Completely orig and def no bonnet spraying - promise :)

By the way - the guy who took the Alfa GTX along was a race driving instructor at Goodwood and kept saying how much he rated the C as a brilliant track car too.

Nice Corrado, good to see Top Gear have taste!

First thing I did when I finished was search Autotrader for a Toyota Hilux! :lol: What a great car for the summer when I return to North Wales for a few months. Take it anywhere, forests, beaches, if it got stolen it would turn up.................................. :lol: :lol:

oohh! Cheapest on autotrader was £800. 8) 8)

Nice Corrado, good to see Top Gear have taste!

First thing I did when I finished was search Autotrader for a Toyota Hilux! :lol: What a great car for the summer when I return to North Wales for a few months. Take it anywhere, forests, beaches, if it got stolen it would turn up.................................. :lol: :lol:

oohh! Cheapest on autotrader was £800. 8) 8)

ideal winter/summer car too :wink:

Do toyota hilux's have a soild bench in front??

Something appealing about having 3/4 people sitting up front :)

Like big ass american cars.

Always hankered for one of those since old boys break down in Italy(In saab and taken to ferrari garage :shock: )

Article was great, like most have said a bit short but better than nothing. 8)

Also good to hear them talking some sense about the speed cameras.

I don't get why corrados have a poor reliabilty image.

At the end of the day they are odl cars and most will need running gear sorted by now. They are high power cars and expensive when new and any car that age would need new pads/discs/drums/shocks/springs/bushes/mounts etc etc... whether they have 150 bhp+ or not

I bought mine knowing full it would and am glad I did, beats a brand new punto/fiesta or some other 3 year old peice of crap imo.

My C has been as reliable as I could possibly have hoped. It has ever broken down or even hinted at it and I drive it every day. Same stood for my mk2 gti before. Fair enough, people moan about stuff going wrong, but it constantly suprises me for the reasons i mentioned before, they ARE old cars and will need parts replaced.

The good thing is with the corrado, is that once you have sorted these things out then you have a good knowledge of your own car and are pretty in tune with its handling and will notice when and what needs sorting out. I don't understand why people would happily spend 8-10k on a new car that is going to lose half its value within a 2 years and be souless over a C or something similar??

I am sure the majority here agree??

I hope :)

(you hit a nerve there, but imo it sums up the reason why people buy Corrados and not newer cars)

I felt so proud driving my Corrado to work this morning, full of smugness from all the people around who might have seen top gear last night (and thought my lowly 8v was a VR6!) :D

Yeah, good article and the boy said the right things. Nice one Nick, she looked great. I was also doing my Cheshire Cat impersonation. And all this on the day I found the fuel pump fault on my 6, an overheated contact on the alarm, so got to drive it again before the programme :D I shall have to watch it again tonight

The rest of the show was pretty good too, those Aussie ads are so funny - just loved the dog

I just bought a VR6 - perfect timing by the looks of it!

Luckily Top Gear have just confirmed I've made the right choice!

I just bought a VR6 - perfect timing by the looks of it!

Luckily Top Gear have just confirmed I've made the right choice!

Me too!!! :D

Just talked to my ex-Corrado owning mate (used to have an M plate VR6) - he's talking of selling his monster CLK 320 and getting another Corrado after seeing that!

Oh and for those that wanted it.. I have a 12MB AVI/DivX video of the article on my desktop right now :)

Just need to find somewhere to host it... Andi?!?! :)

good article.

just gave me the impression he'd never driven a G60 and def not a tuned one.

nice VR mind but id rather throw a G60 round thoses twisties

He did say "There are other Corrados but the VR6 is the best one".

Couldn't agree more :lol:

They wouldn't have time to feature all 3 engine types.

K

Wish the stig had took it around the track. That would have have been something to see.

Sandy G60

Made me proud too. Was dying to go for a drive after watching it. Nice comment about not being embarrased, and the other coupes. Maybe Quentin Wilson ought to feature it when he gets round to doing "the cars the star" cos its definitely a worthy contender.

After watching that article yesterday, re-afirms that i never want to sell my C.

Good review of the Corrado, thought they would have featured a Storm but the VR6 was in top condition, a credit to its owner.

Again, would have been nice if they gave a quick run down of the other models but any Corrado is worth its salt in my opinion. :lol:

dave0280, Lmao@ "Spoliers Up!" Good one ;-)

How gutted am I, thought i'd get back home in good time but had a long drive back up to the northeast from Amesbury near stone hange last night in the p1ssing rain & freezing fog so missed it all, waited a month with baited breath too! :cry:

I need a helpfull soul to send me a video tape copy of the prog to make me V happy, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please :D

Would be good to have the AVI up on here for ppl & new users if poss.

jims16v, could you send me the 12meg file? I have broadband :D

Gutted Chris

test drove a 190E 2.3 16v Cosworth(the proper one*)

dogleg box took a bit of getting used too but it had a fair turn of speed and was totally bizarre revving a merc well past 6k revs.....though at the time i also had a friend of a friend who had one til his engine went bye..........and he had to price up a new block and head from Merc......£7k!!!!!!!

*2.3 16v's had the heads actually made by Cosworth whereas the 2.5 16v's had the heads made by Mercedes to a cosworth design IIRC

You know your Merc's Roddy, the 2.3-16v was a far better car than the 2.5-16v (I've driven both). On paper they're about the same but you wouldn't beleive that when you drive them. I should have thought that Top Gear would have done some research before the show.

The cc increase from the 2.3-16v to 2.5-16v was done to maintain "similar" performance & because the Merc head (2.5) was not as well made as the Cozzie (2.3). Cosworth badges were never factory fitted to the boot lids of either car - unlike the car which they had on the show.

They wouldn't have time to feature all 3 engine types.

3? 1.8 16V, 1.8 G60, 2.0 16V, 2.0 8V, 2.9VR6... I make that 5 standard engine types! :wink: :p :lol:

Don't forget the "smaller" brothers, they're still a world class car no matter what powerplant they've got under the bonnet! 8)