Sign in to follow this  
ardandy

Planning A Euro Trip

europetrip2.jpg

Ok, a while back I mentioned that we'd be taking the Corrado on a Euro Road Trip for a holiday!

This is the prelimary route;

Keighley, West Yorkshire

St Osyth, Essex (Ma & Pa!)

Rotterdam, Holland

Cologne, Germany

Schwaig, Germany (Wife's friend)

Innsbruck, Austria

Thun, Switzerland

Strasbourg, France

Somewhere, Luxembourg

St Osyth, Essex (Ma & Pa)

Keighley, West Yorkshire

Haven't said how long at each destination we'll stay but this is over 2 weeks and covers approx 2,150 miles!

Anyone done this type of thing? Any places (along the route, don't want to do too much extra driving!) that you'd say are better to go to? It's mainly the Holland and Germany part we're not sure of, and also where in Switzerland?

Bear in mind there is a bit of a budget so no where really rediculous! We'll be going in July.

Thoughts?

I would strongly advise sending some time in the Swiss Alps, good roads and incredible scenery, although you will need to buy swiss road tax ( vignette ) on entering switzerland, around 40 euros. I like your plan of avoiding france and their expensive autoroutes.

Did a trip last year: Calais to Nice (through the Alps), over to Milan, up to Switzerland (near Verbier), then to Paris before back to Calais.

Best part by far was driving through the Alps. Can't go wrong, fantastic roads everywhere! Just watch out for the rozzers, can't give you points but can still take a chunk out of the spending money! Being caught on camera doesn't count though thankfully :D

I got my old Rallye golf from Wuppertal Nr Cologne in Germany, Nice place, I personally like France, and if you take alternate routes you dont have to pay all the time :D

My pop lives in Douzillac, France, in the Dordogne region not far from Bourdeux, and it has some of the best roads in Europe on the way, im going to Normandy in May in my Corrado, should be a good trip, just before the D day celebrations (to avoid all the yanks mainly!) as im staying at St mere Eglise, Gonna get a photo of my car on the new Pegasus bridge at Caen if i can 8)

Im planning on doing a very similar trip with mine in the summer with my mate, me in my rado and him in his 350Z and using CV radios to stay in touch. Not sure which way round we are going but basically we will be covering mainly germany visiting Karmann and Wolfsburg etc, down to Switzerland (through the Davos to Stelvio pass road ofcourse :wink:), maybe in to Austria not sure yet, into Italy to Modena to visit the lambo museum, up into southern France Monaco etc and back up. But we might go the other way round and drive down to Monaco first then down to Italy and up into Switzerland etc. We worked out it will be around 3000 miles :shock: but should be fcuking awesome cant wait! My mate has driven through france and down to portugal before so he knows which roads are expensive etc so i will just be following him mainly as well as have sat nav. Cant wait!! :D

To be fair, I've not done Europe in the car, always preferred my bike. But advice is still the same.

You deffo got to do the Alps, my favorite bit is from Val d'isere and head up (not North, just up), and you cross the border into Italy. Height marker at the top shows 3300 metres (or thereabouts), just over 10,000 feet. Bike engine ran like a pile of sh*t due to low oxygen in the atmosphere. Best views I've ever seen and you can have a snowball fight in the middle of summer in shorts and t-shirt.

Switzerland, you only need the carnet if using the motorways. Don't get caught on them without one - very hefty fine.

I love France, quite roads, cheap wine etc.

Driving on the wrong side takes some getting used to if you've not done it before, especially on quiet roads.

The worst bit of your trip is the very boring run to Dover.