Sign in to follow this  
lucyc2380

question about bumper

i have a nice body kit to put on my corrado,

nothing stupid a nice euro look one but i am having trouble getting the front bumper off

and i havent even tried taking the rear bumper of yet

i had a golf mk3 before this and a bodykit on there which i had to remove the front bumper via taking the lights and grill off

to find the bolts

i have assumed it was the same with the corrado and had the lights and grill off lol

no bolts!!!

can anyone just clarify on this grrr

and as to my last post i have spoke to a mech at vw kings lynn and they have said that the sunroof on mine only tilts but doesnt slide ? i thought it did slide back

can someone with a corrado just clarify that for me too

im having some trouble trying to do this motor myself and i need a little support :(

i feel embarrassed i used to think i knew most about vws as i have always had them but this beauty is worth saving so any help would be appreciated

thanks everyone

lo mate,

No expert myself but here goes.

The bolts for the bumpers are underneath the car. If you look under the car you will see a set of 3 bolts on either side 2 are the same size, i think they're 17mm. The other is slightly smaller. You need to remove the 4 larger bolts (2 either side). The bumper should then slide out. Obviously disconnect the fogs and indicators first. As for the rear, i dont know as ive never had to take the rear bumper off.

The corrado sunroof does slide back AND tilt. However it is a common fault with the corrado sunroof, which can stop sliding back, as has mine. Do as search on this, its been covered quite alot.

HTH

Remember to support the front subframe with a jack when removing the 4 bolts, as the engine will only be supported by the small bolts holding on the rad support when they are removed!!!!

Welcome to the forum first off, as has previously been mentioned there are 4x 17mm bolts, as well as these there are 5x 10mm bolts that hold the splitter to the radiator support, and there are also 2x 8mm screws/bolts holding the wheel arch liner to the bumper.

As for the rear it's just the 4x 17mm bolts.

HTH

Jonathan

Welcome Lucy.....Be prepaired for a fight with the front bumper bolts, if they have never been opened they will almost certainly be very hard to get out..mine took me the best part of a couple of hours to remove ! :( .If they are quite rusty you will need new ones from the dealers, but if not to bad then a good wire brushing should suffice....Remember to copper grease the bolts before re-fitting :thumbleft: .

Welcome to the forum first off, as has previously been mentioned there are 4x 17mm bolts, as well as these there are 5x 10mm bolts that hold the splitter to the radiator support, and there are also 2x 8mm screws/bolts holding the wheel arch liner to the bumper.

As for the rear it's just the 4x 17mm bolts.

HTH

Jonathan

Good point forgot about those nuts holds liners and splitter on

does the splitter need to come off?

am sure it doesn't, i took mine off and didn't help the case.

at the moment my bumper is off car with splitter and all those nuts attached

does the splitter need to come off?

am sure it doesn't, i took mine off and didn't help the case.

at the moment my bumper is off car with splitter and all those nuts attached

The splitter doesn't but the metal 'U' bracket that runs the length of the front of the splitter does as that attaches to the rad support panel.

Make sure you get a 3 foot breaker bar or similar to undo the 17mm bumper bolts as they will be very tight. I would recommend fitting new bolts too as they tend to collect water around the head and corrode. Torque the 17mm bolts up to 85 Nm for the front and 75 Nm for the rear.

:(

looks like i'll be undoing that again tomorrow then :lol:

Worse one is the small bolt each side that holds the front crossmember on with the bumper removed, these have corroded through completely causing the front crossmember complete with engine front mount to fall forwards when the bumper bolts have been undone.

mine was alright, no bolts were stuck, none broke and everything seems as it should :)

i just didn't see how the splitter bit was attached to the car, just looked as if the splitter was only fixed to bumper, will investigate tonight

where are thw bolts for the rear bumper located please?

and my bolts are corroded , i have only managed to remove two of them so far...

will i really need to go to a dealer for replacement bolts should i need them?

thanks guys :cheers:

where are thw bolts for the rear bumper located please?

and my bolts are corroded , i have only managed to remove two of them so far...

will i really need to go to a dealer for replacement bolts should i need them?

thanks guys :cheers:

Yes to new bolts, a bit vital to the front end strength of the car and holding the engine in.

As for the rear bumper you should see 2 17mm bolts about 50mm apart in line with the car when looking up from underneath the car.

ladies and gents i have successfully removed my front bumper,

although one of my bolts snapped up inside so will have to drill that bugger out grrr

however it is removed none the less and all my bolts corroded so will have to see how much from dealer

also found out one of my abs sensors is smashed explaining the abs light nagging me,

just wanted to say a big thankyou for all your support

i really really appreciate it everyone is fantastic

thankyou so much to everyone,

i will let you know how i get on with the back when i intend to tke that off which isnt yet x x x x x x xx x x x x

Nice one!

How's the abs sensor being smashed? Good luck getting it out. I want to replace my fronts to see if it makes my light go out, but cant get the buggers out of the carrier. :s

is it worth renewing the bolts for the front, mine seemed ok a bit of surface corrosion

anyone know how much the 4 for the front are?

just ordered 4 new bolts for the corrado front today i pick them up tuesday and they are £1.92 each from vw dealer

2 of my bolts like i said werent bad but i want to renew them all anyway

the suspension was lowered so i guess the abs sensor was smashed then

asked vw dealer whilst i was on the phone how much for an abs sensor and they are £102 !!! then the vat on top!!!

told him to stick it tho as there are some on ebay that fit right for a tenner!!!!!!!

so for anyone reading shop around before buying on impulse, you will reep the rewards x :grin:

just ordered 4 new bolts for the corrado front today i pick them up tuesday and they are £1.92 each from vw dealer

2 of my bolts like i said werent bad but i want to renew them all anyway

the suspension was lowered so i guess the abs sensor was smashed then

asked vw dealer whilst i was on the phone how much for an abs sensor and they are £102 !!! then the vat on top!!!

told him to stick it tho as there are some on ebay that fit right for a tenner!!!!!!!

so for anyone reading shop around before buying on impulse, you will reep the rewards x :grin:

£102 plus VAT that is daylight robbery!

:

nice one, useful stuff ta, i was expecting them to be about £5 each :lol:

i don't spose you have a part no for the front bumper bolts, the 17mm ones?

just tried to order over phone and he couldn't work it out. not sure i fancy driving all the way over just to point at something :lol: