Sign in to follow this  
loveofcorrados

VWMS manifold

:? Sorry folks, I know this topic has bounced around the forum for quite a while but i've recently found someone who boasts that they could re-create the VWMS manifold if i could get the design specs. seeing as they are no longer being made by VWMS and Schrick have packed up building their "improved" version is there anyway that i can lay my hands on the designs, as anyone who owns either isn't going to give it up (unless they're VERY foolish). Thanks in advance for any replies :lol:

Since when did shrick stop making their manifolds?

You'd have to set about stripping a manifold and taking drawings from that, I think.

I know if a proper Pierburg VSR for sale...

Is it for a pound? PM me either way ;)

Tom - £1500 ish, comes with chips for dizzy and CP, all working and checked by Stealth - also original German dealer purchace reciept / instructions.

Tom - £1500 ish, comes with chips for dizzy and CP, all working and checked by Stealth - also original German dealer purchace reciept / instructions.

Ok.

Ok.

Dude, that sounds like the ok of a man who is not ok! :D 1500 seems a bit steep for second hand, or is it really worth that much more than a schrick? I;ve never heard of Pierburg. Is that a heinous crime?

quite pricey yes! seeing as theres a group buy for Schrick's at the moment for VR6OC members for A LOT less than that!

having the chip could save a fair whack for a remap though so in some ways you could say its ok value... :lol:

Ok.

Dude, that sounds like the ok of a man who is not ok! :D 1500 seems a bit steep for second hand, or is it really worth that much more than a schrick? I;ve never heard of Pierburg. Is that a heinous crime?

rarer than the Schrick with the added benefit of it being designed for under the bonnet plus masses more "scene" points :D

Ok.

Nah, that is the right price. Especially with chips to suit and the actuator to operate the flap.

There aren't may proper peirberg units around, and as the Doctor has said, it actually fits properly, you don't need to take it apart to get at the plugs, and it looks a bit cooler.

I'd love one, but I think I'll have to slum it with with a shrick for the time being.

The VR was designed to come with this inlet manifold to get over the relatively low torque, sadly it was too expensive to fit as standard. I think it was a £2000 option when new.

If someone would buy the Pieburg VWMS manifold and start knocking them out with a copied chip for £500 then I'd be in....

I doubt it will happen as to set up the castings would cost a fortune.

If someone would buy the Pieburg VWMS manifold and start knocking them out with a copied chip for £500 then I'd be in....

I doubt it will happen as to set up the castings would cost a fortune.

Um, yeah, which was why they wound up costing £2k in the first place..!

Plus there would be significant copyright issues..

The later engines had a much simpler design with plastic actuators (that fail regularly.. :) ) that was much cheaper to build.

The Schrick will do the job (if not better), it's just a tad more inconvenient at servicing time.

I bought my VSR from a guy in the US who was converting his car back to original... after much haggling it cost me neck end of £1500 with postage and duty.....that was about 2 years ago...I doubt you'll find anyone in the UK who is willing to part with theirs for less than a couple of grand, although you might strike lucky in the US,

with the 'almighty $' being so low .......allegedly only 500 were made , and most went to the US on Corrado's and Golfs.

i heard the schrick manifold was lacking when the chips hit the table and all the hype was false... If not sorry for my naivity

Lacking what? I think you're smoking crack, dude. ;)

I think pretty much everyone says the Schrick VGI performs better than the VWM VSR in all respects *apart* from fit and servicing. (But it fits a lot more tidily under the bonnet of a Golf than a Corrado.)

I've never actually seen any direct on the road comparison with a Schrick and a VSR manifold.....I'm assuming it's another one of those urban legends that abound on t'internet....I must admit I'd intended to do a 'before and after' for wheel torque readings on a rolling road (the only numbers worth talking about IMO) but just couldn't wait. Mines still not been re-chipped 2 years down the line, so I'm probably not getting the best out of it....I do know that fuel consumption improved slightly on motorway runs ( under change-over point), and so did pickup from mid range to top, when the flap kicked in.....another 100 years motoring and it'll probably have paid for itself !!!

I remember reading about this regarding the really late VR6 engines that came on MK4's. I can't remember why people don't look at these instead of the Schrick but the E-bay ad is not a scam.

Don't think that kit will fit on the OBD1 12v engines. But anyway, yes that's the "improved" variable inlet design that VW used on the later cars. The plastic insert isn't very reliable tho, and even when it's working I hear that it tends to rattle ..

The plastic one is from a 1999.5 12v vr6 engine that europe didnt get not a 24v, there may be other differences inc the throttle body / airbox arrangement for the Mk4 chassis. The ebay listing shows it fitting a standard 12v bare engine.

Its interesting that no-ones copied a shrick or VWMS manifold in plastic tho, thinking about it theres no reason for it to be cast from alloy apart from looks. You might break it with a supercharger tho.

You could just chop a shrick in half (ouch) and take moulds. Modify it slightly and knock a whole setup out for £300 each. The electronics to make a flap open at a specified revs is not complicated.

There shouldn't be any IP issues - surely a shrick is a modified copy of the VWMS one anyway?

Someone in the industry could do it easily.

There shouldn't be any IP issues - surely a shrick is a modified copy of the VWMS one anyway?

Schrick purchased the designs and the right to manufacture this product from Pierburg (who made it for VWMS). You would have to purchase the rights from Schrick, and probably get agreement from Pierburg aswell!