Sign in to follow this  
prxone

Kompressor chargers from Mercedes???

My charger needs a service with the option of upgrading, but I also have available a Kompressor unit from a Mercedes.

What are these Mercedes chargers like?

I seen a few VW's with this conversion.

Are they better?

Any suggestions????

Early Kompressors (as fitted to early SLK230's & C230's) used to suffer from "clutch" damage. They had a kind of clutch fitted to the pulley on the front - bearings were very unreliable.

Later Kompressors tend not to suffer from this problem & so far as I'm aware are very good & reliable units. Certainly won't suffer from the same seal/bearing recon's needed for the G-ladder.

Steve - ex-Mercedes employee

I'd say a service would be cheaper than re-engineering your car to take a Merc charger.

Depending on your annual mileage, it could be 3years or more before you need to do it again.

G60s are ok providing, you are prepared to look after them. Regular oil changes etc.

Gavin

can they supply enough air without efficiency levels dropping?

they seem to go for cheap money whereas the stuff the yanks use for good power at revs seem to be more expensive. forgive my lack of naming on this as theres no point getting it wrong and confusing people.

the one that catches my eye is the BBM twin screw as used by some of the vortex lads. noisy but great power delivery with better reliability.

Depends which Kompressor you get - the later ones are fitted to the Merc 3.2 V6 engines (amongst others) so I would imagine that boost levels wouldn't be a problem.

I can't remember wether the cure for the early problems was to re-design the centrifugal clutch or to remove it altogether. This clutch was a really good idea - when the revs were low the charger would hardly spin at all thus giving better fuel economy. When the revs started to increase then the centrifugal clutch in the pulley would start to bite - giving progressively more boost as the revs increased further.

I'll have the charger off an SL55, yum. The one that comes with a 5.5 V8 :lol:

Don't think it'll fit under the bonnet though....

K

I'll have the charger off an SL55, yum. The one that comes with a 5.5 V8 :lol:

Don't think it'll fit under the bonnet though....

K

So far as I'm aware they use 2 chargers - 1 for each bank of cylinders

We have a a few eatons we are playing with for use on our Cooper 'S', although I have to admit i've been siding them up on a corrado with a charger out and a G40 :D . Will envolve a fair bit of bracketry and inovation to get one on.

pic..........

http://www.pitstopdevelopments.co.uk/eaton/DSCF0040.JPG

As you can see, a little more robust than it's cousin the G-lader.

What (if any) modifications can be carried out to the Eaton Chargers? You know, like a stage 4 equivilant or something, plus are there any advantages of stock over stock? Just curious cause when I was looking to buy my G60 nearly 2 years ago, I was tempted to go for one with the Eaton charger (no worries about detonation apparently) but was unsure if it had to stay standard or if it could be modded to increase the flow and efficency. Cheers,

Grim

What (if any) modifications can be carried out to the Eaton Chargers? You know, like a stage 4 equivilant or something, plus are there any advantages of stock over stock? Just curious cause when I was looking to buy my G60 nearly 2 years ago, I was tempted to go for one with the Eaton charger (no worries about detonation apparently) but was unsure if it had to stay standard or if it could be modded to increase the flow and efficency. Cheers,

Grim

a smaller pulley can be fitted to a eaton unit..

What gains would you expect from fitting one with a smaller pulley? Would it be a better set-up than the upgraded G-ladder or am i best sticking wiith what was intended for the G60? Thinking about the not too distant future if my charger decides to take early retirement (hopefully the distant future but you know what i mean). Cheers for the quick reply Darren