Sign in to follow this  
20vt

Problem removing front bumper

Hi everyone, this is my first post so hope i have put it in the right section.

I'm just starting my 20vt conversion into my Corrado and come across a problem. Went to remove the bumper but unfortunately the captive nuts on one side seemed to be no longer captive! The bolt just spins. Any ideas on how to remove these bolts other than cutting the top of the chassis leg to get a socket on the nuts.

Thanks

I thought the 2 17mm bolts on either side just bolted into the metal bits on the back of the bumper, no captive nuts........could be wrong

Sounds like you're undoing the wrong thing :? It's just 4x 17mm nuts- 2 on each side of the cross member, as nocrap says...

I've been trying to undo the 17mm bolt either side of the front cross member bolt but it just spins freely and doesn't seem to undo. Its like its not attached to anything. Even put an impact wrench on them and they just spin. I thought that they had captive nuts on the bumper bars.

I've been trying to undo the 17mm bolt either side of the front cross member bolt but it just spins freely and doesn't seem to undo. Its like its not attached to anything. Even put an impact wrench on them and they just spin. I thought that they had captive nuts on the bumper bars.

That sounds to me like the captive nut in the chassis leg has come loose.... :pale:

Yeah - I suppose they are captive nuts but never heard of one breaking... there should be 2 either side - are these the ones???

The smaller M8 (13mm) bolt that holds the crossmember to the car can break when the bumper is removed with the engine not supported correctly but the only other 17mm head one is the other side of this and purely holds the rad support crossmember to the chassis leg.

:( Time to get my angle grinder out then :(

Oh well gives me an excuse to smooth the chassis legs now as the battery tray is showing signs of rust anyway.