Sign in to follow this  
Critical_Mass

blowing exhaust - manifold end

Hi guys/gals,

Ive discovered that my exhaust is blowing and popping away under the bonnet. I think its either the top of the down pipe or the manifold. I also dont know if its the gasket or if theres a slight hole. SO to check it out, would i be able to disconnect exhaust from cat and then from the manifold with out taking the rest of the exhaust off. Also whats this air duct do that joins on to the down pipe of the exhaust?

For now i want to see if i can patch it up until i can afford to get a new exhaust.

In theory, you should be able to take it all apart, I mean it is designed like that, but every single one i've ever seen is rusted / heat welded together.

If it is that join, I'd recommend sourcing a new manifold and downpipe, or even better SIX-BRANCH :D

Cheers guys

like this Monkeey - http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/VW-CORRADO-VR6-2- ... dZViewItem? How much do they retail for elsewhere?

EDIT - heh not for £500 for just the manifold. I cant even spend £500 on the whole exhaust.

Another question, If i was to fit a new exhaust myself. How do i undo the rear axle so it can be dropped to get the back box off?

Cheers guys

like this Monkeey - http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/VW-CORRADO-VR6-2- ... dZViewItem? How much do they retail for elsewhere?

EDIT - heh not for £500 for just the manifold. I cant even spend £500 on the whole exhaust.

Another question, If i was to fit a new exhaust myself. How do i undo the rear axle so it can be dropped to get the back box off?

Yeah good manifolds cost a bit, but are worth their weight!

To get the rear axle off, there is 4 bolts holding the beam to the floorpan through a plate on either side (2 bolts each), then you'd need to undo all the brake lines and handbrake cables, plus the top rear suspension mounts.... anything I've missed people?

But... the much easier way is to just take each part of the exhaust off in sections and rebuild it in sections also, leaving the rear beam hassle out!

^ that's how I did my golf one.

Cheers guys

Yeah good manifolds cost a bit, but are worth their weight!

To get the rear axle off, there is 4 bolts holding the beam to the floorpan through a plate on either side (2 bolts each), then you'd need to undo all the brake lines and handbrake cables, plus the top rear suspension mounts.... anything I've missed people?

But... the much easier way is to just take each part of the exhaust off in sections and rebuild it in sections also, leaving the rear beam hassle out!

^ that's how I did my golf one.[/quote:38whben5]

Cool! 8) cheers for the help monkeeey.

Thats ok as long as the new exhaust just slides back together.

new exhausts slide together way better than old exhausts slide apart! :lol:

keep us informed.

Monkkeeeyyeeyeyeyeee. e.

if you are getting a new exhuast, you may want to consider a magnex - then you wouldn't have to worry about dropping the rear beam at all...

i HATE noisy cars i really do - i swapped the induction kit that came on my car back for the standard airbox as i hated the chavvy induction roar.

i've been really quite surprised how OE looking and quiet the magnex is though - obviously it's a little bit noisier than a standard one, but it really is only marginal - to be honest you can't even tell the difference at tick-over and it's only really on properly full chatter that you could tell, even then it's not roary/boomy or obtrusive, it actually sounds really nice and i'm a fussy git!

if you bought a magnex then they have a join over the rear beam, so you would not need to remove anything - you could simply cut off your old exhaust and go from there...

i'm running the magnex from the cat back, but as long as you retain your cat, you shouldn't really notice TOO much of a difference. a friend of mine made my day the other day when he said he thought it was a standard exhaust! (and in my opinion, the build quality of the magnex systems is spot on)

good luck with it all whatever you choose anyway :)

Cheers for the input Griff.

Ideally id want an OEM exhaust but the price of a whole system (possibly minus the cat) would be rediculously high and i dont want it booming either. Ill take a look at the magnex system. Do magnex do manifolds also?

My powerflow system looks OEM too, has a nice oval tailpipe and I didn't realise it was a powerflow until I looked underneath and saw the writing on the backbox!

As long as the diameter of piping is kept a reasonable size, exhausts shouldn't be boomy. The problem with stainless exhausts is that they are made from thinner metal as the manufacturer doesn't need to worry about them rusting through, and as such they inherently generate more noise.

I can't comment on the loudness of my powerflow though as I have no carpets or 'proofing in Ron at the mo!

i'm unsure if magnex also make the manifolds as well mate - sorry.

unless you are planning on a remap and various other mods over time, then i would retain the cat. (unsure about the vr engine specifically) but engines in general like a little back pressure, also the cat will help with noise and it's a pain in the arse swapping it every time you want an MOT, and even if you know someone who is willing to pass it, then you still run the risk of PC Plod getting very upset when he stops you and inspects you car on the side of the road (which i have seen happen!). if you want a cat with longevity that you won't have to replace again, then buy a milltek sports cat. you would more or less get the benefits of a decat pipe then anyway, but still be legal and keep the engine a bit happier. they are more expensive, but well worth it IMO.

i totally agree with you that standard systems are generally what i would go for, but honestly, i think the magnex is a far superior system (if just a tiny bit noisier). in all fairness though you really won't notice the noise difference unless you hoof it everywhere, in which case the car would still be noisy and attract the wrong sort of attention even with the standard system anyway!

i'm unsure if magnex also make the manifolds as well mate - sorry.

unless you are planning on a remap and various other mods over time, then i would retain the cat. (unsure about the vr engine specifically) but engines in general like a little back pressure, also the cat will help with noise and it's a pain in the arse swapping it every time you want an MOT, and even if you know someone who is willing to pass it, then you still run the risk of PC Plod getting very upset when he stops you and inspects you car on the side of the road (which i have seen happen!). if you want a cat with longevity that you won't have to replace again, then buy a milltek sports cat. you would more or less get the benefits of a decat pipe then anyway, but still be legal and keep the engine a bit happier. they are more expensive, but well worth it IMO.

i totally agree with you that standard systems are generally what i would go for, but honestly, i think the magnex is a far superior system (if just a tiny bit noisier). in all fairness though you really won't notice the noise difference unless you hoof it everywhere, in which case the car would still be noisy and attract the wrong sort of attention even with the standard system anyway!

Also not sure if magnex make a corrado manifold, they make a Golf one but not sure if it'll fit?

Catalytic converters aren't actually a legal requirement on any car, they are just to help pass emissions. If the car passes the text with a cat bypass then there's no problem at all. The police are more likely to pull you for the noise i reckon. Also, Darren @ G-werks says the sports cats aren't really worth the extra penny over the standard ones, but each to their own I guess.

Also not sure if magnex make a corrado manifold, they make a Golf one but not sure if it'll fit?

Catalytic converters aren't actually a legal requirement on any car, they are just to help pass emissions. If the car passes the text with a cat bypass then there's no problem at all. The police are more likely to pull you for the noise i reckon. Also, Darren @ G-werks says the sports cats aren't really worth the extra penny over the standard ones, but each to their own I guess.

thats right about the cat not being a requirement, but lets face it - there's no way that a corrado is going to pass the emissions test without one! you're right about the noise too - just another advantage of a cat.

i have heard good things about the race cats, but if someone has said otherwise, then i guess its probably worth asking around before shelling out the funds....

Hi fellas,

Yes magnex do stock a Corrado Manifold. Im a bit worried about the prices though the manifold alone looks to be as much as a full exhaust? Or was a i reading the site prices incorrectly.

http://www.magnexexhausts.com/product_finder.asp

I looked on the above site and chose manifolds and it came up with a full cat back system, not sure if that includes the manifolds too though. Selected the full exhausts tab and it came back as same price!?

EDIT - nope, you're right Magnex dont. Any recommendations to which manifold, assuming i need one, havent checked yet?

if that's genuine vw then they will just be the same as the standard cast items that you have at the moment.

cast stuff is renowned for cracking on less well made cars - but i've never heard of a corrado manifold cracking! - had mine off not so long ago and they are nicely made as far as standard manifolds go...

are you sure it's not just the gaskets between the manifolds and the tops of the downpipe that haven't gone - i would be surprised if the manifolds/downpipe have properly failed...

Well thats what i thought, its faily thick metal. I reckon/hoping the its just the gasket or exhaust, i will take a look tomorrow. im looking for an excuse to get a new exhaust. :lol:

1. Yes, S/S manifolds are normally a few hundred pounds. I got an Ashley on my Mk2 16v. It was £200 and really poor quality. I would easily justify £300 for a high quality manifold, which will probably outlive the rest of the car, durability wise.

2. I've seen a few mk2 16v manifolds crack, and I guess you could argue that they're the same as Corrado ones? And there are a few people on here who have passed MOT without a cat on their VR6, CazzaVR being one that immediately springs to mind.

3. It is much much muich more likely to be the gasket or the join at least (maybe even the mild steel bolts) but as my first post on page 1, it's near impossible to split an old manifold from downpipe in my experiences with more than just VWs and is generally worth replacing manifold and downpipe at the same time....which is when the aftermarket thoughts come in!

@ Critical_Mass, Golf VR6 (AAA engine) exhaust manifold and Raddo VR6 (ABV engine) are coming up as having the same manifolds, so this might be of interest to you:

Original Golf VR6 manifolds and downpipe on the bay - £25!

Yeah, they've been sprayed in heat paint but they still look properly solid, and if he's managed to split the manifolds from the downpipe then they must still be in good condition.

hth,

Jon.

My 1-3 manifold was warped quite badly and blowing when I pulled the motor to bits a couple of years ago. I just re-worked it on the belt sander, fitted a new gasket and it's been fine ever since. Plus the emissions seemed to be loads better at it's next MOT so I think it was possibly draing loads of air in too. Worth a try for free before you shell out on a new one?

Cheers Jon

I will take a look when i finish work, i cant seem to view that at the mo

I guess you didn't get round to it, seeing as it ended at 9:40pm with no bids? If I had a VR with a blowing manifold I would have snapped it up!