Sign in to follow this  
Rich H

MFA resets itself

Hello all,

MFA on girlfreinds corrado G60 keeps resetting itself, have been told this could be a dodgy earth? Anyone had this problem and sorted it? Someone also said this is what happens when someone attempts to clock it. The car has a genuine mileage with FSH so I'm doubting this is the case...

Any help would be great.

Rich H.

I take it that you haven't got it set to position 2? 2 resets itself after an hour of having the engine off, 1 keeps the data until the reset is pressed and held...

If you know that and think that I'm teaching you to suck eggs, sorry, that's not the intention... 8)

When does it reset? just randomly when you are driving along, when you start the car, or when you turn the car off? let us know and we'll see what we can think up! 8) :lol:

um - mine resets it's self in position 1 and stores data in position 2 but I can't say I've been driving it too much as it's been in the garage for 2 weeks now :(

I take it that you haven't got it set to position 2? 2 resets itself after an hour of having the engine off, 1 keeps the data until the reset is pressed and held...

Ian - position 1 resets itself after an hour - it's position 2 that keeps it's info.. :wink:

Ok, my memory isn't what it once was... :oops: It's been a while since I drove my C and I can't exactly just go out and check it now can I?!? :oops: :lol: 8)

OK, so what I said above still stands, Just swap 1 and 2 over in the text, and there you have it... :roll:

(sorry, as I said, it's been a while...)

This happens when I turn the key all MFA data in position 1 & 2 is lost as is the time and the trip mileage The only thing that remains is actual overall milage the car has done ie 100k. It doesn't happen every time the key is turned only say once every 4 turns of normal useage.

Cheers for the prompt responses though..Anyone got any more ideas?

Rich H. :roll:

Have you ever had any problems starting it?

(here comes one of my standard answers! :roll: :lol: )

It could be one of the first indications of a dodgy ignition switch... They're known to do all sorts of weird and wacky things to the electrics when they are on the way out... They're only about £20 and will take less than an hour to fit if you can use a screwdriver and aren't afraid to give it a go... 8)

Other than that, it could be the earth cable between the battery, chassis and the engine/gearbox. These often oxidise (ends go green) and so cause a higher resistance than there should be on all of the electrical circuits. If it resets only when turning the key to START the car, (rather than just putting the ignition on) then a dodgy earth could be causing sufficient current drain to cause the dash to loose power and reset all of the dash...

Having typed all of that, I'd definately say that it's the second option here... Dodgy earth strap... VW Part number: 357 971 235C (upto chassis number 50-P-003 300) or 535 971 235B (chassis number higher than that) and IIRC are about £25 (yes, I've had to do one of these on my C too! :roll: )

I'm pretty certain that the first number is the correct one for a G60... 8)

Hope this helps... 8)

Does the time reset itself as well? If so then it may be your battery is just about to pack it in. Mine started doing this then a few weeks later, needed a battery, changed it then never had a problem again.

If the time doesnt reset I would say its most likely an internal problem on the mfa.

edit: just reread and noticed that the time is resetting, doh :oops:

alright rich mine did the same when the battery was low the car still started but all displays reset sometimes i`d lose my radio presets also

Ian - position 1 resets itself after an hour :

stevemac doesn't it reset itself after 2 hours? or am i thinking of my golf?

Yes - you're right, it resets itself after 2 hours.. :thumbleft:

Can't remember why I thought it was only 1 hour - ohh well

Can I just jump in and say my corrado G60 does this. It reset the clock and trip mileage, but also on a long run the Rev counter/ Speedo/ Fuel and water guages Flicker, Normally when you have the lights on and when you use the indicators. When they flicker they dont reset the time or milleage. My corrado has done this for 3 years. The reseting of the clock is about every 2-3 months!

Toby

Can I just jump in and say my corrado G60 does this. It reset the clock and trip mileage, but also on a long run the Rev counter/ Speedo/ Fuel and water guages Flicker, Normally when you have the lights on and when you use the indicators. When they flicker they dont reset the time or milleage. My corrado has done this for 3 years. The reseting of the clock is about every 2-3 months!

Toby

Sounds like you have a dodgy connection or bad earth somewhere