Sign in to follow this  
phatso

Alpine ida-x001 Ipod Headunit

Thinking about getting a new headunit for my raddo, I allready have an ipod nano stacked up with songs etc so i wanted to make sure that what ever i got had a way to play them, then i saw the alpine iDA-X001.

http://www.trustedreviews.com/multimedi ... ad-Unit/p1

Has anyone got one or used one, i trust alpine for there sound and build quality only that i am not so sure about is dropping the cd drive in the car, i suppose it does mean i can do away with random cd's laying about the car.

Has anyone got any ideas on how to make the ipod connection secure and hidden other than just connecting it to the cable and sticking it in the cubby hole in the middle.

I've seen a few folks plop run their iPod into the glovebox, and make some sort of fixture for keeping it secure in there. That's what i'd do personally if I was setting something like this up.

Saw this head unit too on my travels a while back and was fairly intrigued.. you can get some good deals on them on eBay and if you're like me, you hardly ever use CD's in the car any more!

if you're like me, you hardly ever use CD's in the car any more!

i wish i didnt cos i they end up getting scratched and ruined no matter how careful you think you are going to be.

remember if you are buying an ipod head unit, some of the early ones are crap and slow (i know cos i bought one and never use it cos its useless)

could be better just buying any head unit that has an auxiliary input and use the headphone jack. that way you can control your ipod from the ipod rather than thru the head unit.

I have modified the rear ashtray slightly so my Ipod video now slots into a hole in the bottom of the ashtray which has the connector in and i can just close the lid over it.

The reviewer says there are issues with the nano...did you see this bit?

Update: You may have noticed in our thumbnail (and The CD Has Left The Building editorial) that the iDA-X001 is photographed alongside an iPod nano. This appears to be an unfortunately choice given that one enthused reader (Bav - hello!) went to buy a unit after reading this article only to be told it doesn't work with the nano, just 5G iPods with the latest firmware.

I quizzed Alpine about this and indeed got the following confession:

This is a problem that [we're] taking up with our European HQ.

Basically the iPod nano (2nd Gen) with the very latest firmware will not work on the USB connection on the iDA-X001, it will only work on [the] iPod Full Speed connection - therefore no album artwork. An iPod nano (1st gen) will however work on the USB connection and provide album artwork. We hope that on future Apple iPod software updates the facility for a USB digital transfer of music files will be become available.

Have you any pics of the way the ipod fits in your ashtray??

unfortunately not as the car is up on axle stands at the moment, i will get some this weekend though as its dark when i get home from work and there is no flash on my phone camera.

as its for a 5thG 30gig video its basically just a slot cut into the bottom of the ashtray with the bottom half of an ipod docking cradle attached to the bottom of the ashtray. quite simple and cheap to do.

you probably would'nt need to cut a slot in the bottom of the ashtray for the new nano, maybe just a smaller hole for the plug to fit through.

I know i read that bit about the Nano not working but i have a 2nd gen ipod nano and it worked fine with the demo headunit i was playing with in hallfords.

I am still really tempted, I have a std input jack at the moment and its a pain in the butt to change tracks on the ipod all the time.

yh i got this unit and it it really good i-pod works great with it i bought it when i worked for halfords and when i was specling to the alpine rep he recamened it as apple worked with alpine to make it also if you wont to keep your cd's like me i put a 6 disk changer with it and the hands free kit also i run full alpine type X system 12" sub 2x sets 16.5 cm specker two power caps dry cell batt in the boot and the new pdx amps and the head unt has a relly gd sound even with all that running off it :clap:

if you wait get the Alpine Ida X100, I Had the X001 was great but was like a base model, the X100 is only little bit better but has got rid of all the annoying things that the x001 had like a there was a search button and a enter button now the X100 has the enter and search button together making it so much easier to use, and also the build is better than the model before. If you buy it on-line is about the same price, if not the same by now

i just seen that unit its well cool think i might have to upgrade i was going to get a screen but i was thinking the only people that sit in there cars long enough 2 use one are stoners and doggers as im neather im not going to get 1 lol