Sign in to follow this  
timg60

Anyone modded an Ipod dock to fit gear surround? done!

As above really. Has anyone modded an ipod dock to fit in the gear surround where the coin holders are. I am thinking about it and reckon I would need a power convertor and then could wire it into the aux on my headunit. I reckon there is enough room under the surround to cut out the coin holder and then weld the dock to the underside?

Any thoughts?

Tim

I haven't, but its a good call.

I've got an Alpine headunit with Ipod connection so don't have to worry about power. But the control through the headunit is pretty rubbish so would nice to have a decent dock that holds it securely and allows me to pick it up and change track easily.

I'm going to look into it.

It you need power, you could get one of the 12v car kits and connect it to the 12v behind all the dash and run it stealth to the dock. I suppose the trouble will be that the connection to your headunit will be via the phono jack and difficult to incorporate without seeing the cable and having to keep connecting and disconnecting.

Al

I have used one of the griffin docks from halford. Removed the ciggy lighter bit and then put a fuse in line and connected the live and earth to the headunit live. Then run an aux to the back of the headunit hiding all the wires under the center consol. Have cut out the coin holder and fitted the dock flush there. Will have to take it out and refit it tilting back at an angle as the gearknob just touches it so you have to be gentle on gearchange not to knock the pod out. But it works and looks good with no wires all over the place which is what I wanted. Will post som piccies up tommorow..... :clap:

Sounds Good. Would be interested to see pictures.

I've started on mine. I'm using the dock that came with the ipod. I've extended it a bit so the ipod sits a bit lower, also angled it back a bit more to provide some more clearance with the gearknob. There is a blanking sheet to make it fit the coin slot nicely. I did think about not using the coin slot at all and putting it slightly offcentre and behind to give some more room, but the coin slot is the ideal size so it seemed the right thing to do.

Its also ideal that the Ipod dock and Gearlever housing are all styrene based plastics, means you can solvent join and fabricate bits really easily.

Got the cable running under the gearlever housing, just need to fix this in the dock to try it all out.

The finished product will be sprayed black and felt lined where the Ipod sits (well, thats the plan)

Al

Looking good.

You could start making them and sell them on here. ;)

Not sure if that was directed at my dock or not.

Are you intereseted in one?

Alex

Looking good.

You could start making them and sell them on here. ;)

Not sure if that was directed at my dock or not.

Are you intereseted in one?

Alex

I am yes. If the price is right ;)

To be honest, it took me a fair old time to make mine, a lot of fabrication. Sorry to say, as I value my time, it’s going to cost a lot to make them in the same way.

I can look into other methods, as I have the contacts for a few potential methods to make them. But, even then, low volume plastic parts tend to have high part costs.

If there is significant interest, costs may become more feasible.

What's the max. people will be willing to pay, I can then see if its going to be feasible. £20? would £30 be too much.

I realise this sounds a lot, but its very custom.

I'd be happy to pay £35 - £40. Plus send you the gear stick surround on an exchange basis.

really impressed with these :notworthy: . any chance of revealing your secret to its completion? you got any pics of the underneath or your process? :)

Don't think I took any pics as I did it. But I've got some pics of the underneath.

Will post up how I did later if you want, when I've found the pics

I'd be happy to pay £35 - £40. Plus send you the gear stick surround on an exchange basis.

I'll probably have a go at another and see how long it takes me second time round. I'll PM you some questions though and then make you one. If it turns out alright, then we can sort out payment.

Al

Don't think I took any pics as I did it. But I've got some pics of the underneath.

Will post up how I did later if you want, when I've found the pics

I have had a thought on how I can get them made at a reasonable cost with options for the different Ipod types. Currently looking into it.

Can

thats a great guide. need a free weekend cos i want a go at this. im so impressed with the finish you have managed to achieve

thats a great guide. need a free weekend cos i want a go at this. im so impressed with the finish you have managed to achieve

Cheers, I'll try and update it with some photos. Would be interested to see how you get on.

Does look good I have to say. One question though - do you not run into problems with the iPod leaping out of the dock on rough / bouncy road surfaces?

Does look good I have to say. One question though - do you not run into problems with the iPod leaping out of the dock on rough / bouncy road surfaces?

Good question, and was one of my concerns when doing it. I haven't really had any problems though.

What I tried to do when filing done the metal clips on the connector is leave some of the clip but just lead it out if that makes sense. That way the clip gives you some retention, but can be easily overridden when you remove it.

The connector is also a good fit in the Ipod which helps.

I run coilovers by the way.