Sign in to follow this  
rajarella

Rust behind bumper

I got under the car for a look about on the weekend and the metal behind the front bumper is rusted through (it has a huge hole in it) :( . Is it easy to get a replacement for this? I will try and get a pic up to show what I mean.

Thanks

Rich

The problem is it's only a very thin sheet of metal which isn't protected very well....very common for these to go as rotten as a pear. sortable with a dremel - rust treatment - hammerite.

yeah, they all seem to go like that. It isn't a structural part, so I'd save the £175 and treat it like shawshankkid suggested :wink:

Well after almost a year I have finally got around to tring to sort the rust behind the front bumper. As you can see from the pics it is very bad :pale: . Has anyone got the part code or part name for the piece that needs replacing? I will need the metal strip that joins the spoiler to the bumper as well.

P1010785.jpg

P1010790.jpg

P1010788.jpg

P1010786.jpg

Is that what it is? That could kill two birds with one stone as the bumper is stuck on because I have snapped a bolt in the current cross member. I would definitely be interested if you have a spare one, what sort of condition is it in? How much do you want for it and would you be willing to post?

Rich

Is that what it is? That could kill two birds with one stone as the bumper is stuck on because I have snapped a bolt in the current cross member. I would definitely be interested if you have a spare one, what sort of condition is it in? How much do you want for it and would you be willing to post?

Rich

its not in bad condition at all, bit of rust but nothing severe, easily treatable. this can all be done while its off the car.

as for postage that may be a problem as its not light and quite a large but of kit. is it for an early valver?

No it is for a 93 vr6, does that make a difference? I know the cross member is the bar that runs parallel to the bumper but does it also incorporate all the the thin metal in front of it? Thats the piece I need, as you can see from the pics it is almost non-existent on my car.

Rich

The metal 'sheet' that is rusted through in your photos is separate to the actual crossmember. You can see how it attaches to the chassis once the crossmember is removed.

Just a note: You should support the crossmember with something like a jack when you have removed the two main bolts on either side! When they are out it is only the small middle bolt supporting the front of the engine, and that bolt only secures to the top section of that rusty sheet!

the bit i have is deffinately the bit you need, whether its actually called the front cross member i dont know, it will also have the engine mount on it.

i dont think my crossmember will be of use to you though as it has the valver engine mount, the vr6 crossmember is slightly differnt to allow for the differnt engine mount, however you may be able to seperate the lower section and use my bit which is the bit you have that has rusted through. (if that makes sense)..

diagrams enclosed should show what i mean...

I see what you mean, that is the bit I need. Would you be willing to split them? The cross member isn't much use to me if the engine mount placement is different.

Rich

its still a big part, and would imagine it would be a bit difficult to send. only thing i can think of is maybe you could arrange a courier?

really not sure on a price, obviously id want a bit more for it if i sort/treat the rust or you can take it as it is?

Have a think about what you think is a fair price an let me know, dont want the earth for it..

check the diagrams i posted earlier, should put your mind at ease, as they are both the same.

£40 seems fair as it is or £60 and ill strip back all the rust and hammerite it...

up to you, i dont mind either way..

Ok I will take it in it's present state and clean it up and hammerite it myself. I am going to have to sort a courier out for it as it is a bit of a trek to collect in person. Do you have any idea how much it weighs?

i dont know, i can try and find out. cardiff isnt farr lol. lovely drive that!

will speak to my old man about weighing it tonight and let you know...

right ive just been out to look at it and its not as good as i thought, its not rotten through in any places but will need a good strip back and a few coats of hammerite. just trying to be honest, will clean up fine im sure..

so if you want it then come and get it and its yours..