Sign in to follow this  
was8v

My front top mount won't stay tight

Recently had the front suspension apart and it all went back OK.

I assembled the struts off the car and tightened the nuts up.

However a couple of days after putting it back together I get clunking noises which was the lower top nut on the strut.

Now the clunking returned yesterday so I nipped the nut up again.

I use a sawn off allen key and a 6mm socket to hold the strut still while tightening the nut and swing off it to get it as tight as poss.

Any ideas on how to keep it tight? I don't want to have to re-tighten every couple of weeks!

is the nut coming loose on the strut then?

once mine are tight, the whole lots just turns together, maybe new nuts needed? they have the plastic/nylon inside iirc, can't remember the name

just out of interest what springs plates and top mounts are you using.

when i had early plates with late mounts i had loads of noises, and steering didn't feel right to me, swapped to late springs plates and steering was instantely much smoother and noise free

I have early VR6 springs (large top) and plates (large) and I have no idea when the top mounts are from. I thought all VR6 top mounts are the same?

I know pre-1993 non Vr6 use a different spring plate and top mount.

The top mounts are in good nick so must have been replaced at some point.

When I first undid the nuts they wer hellishly tight - I used a massive pole over breaker bar to undo them, there no way I can get them taht tight again without an air gun.

The weird thing is when I went to tighten the nuts they were still tight. Removing them and replacing and tightening them gets rid of the clunk.

This is the drivers side only by the way.

I suppose the soplution is to get them buzzed up with an airgun.

The nut needs tightening pretty damn hard or it'll work loose. I know damper manufacturers say don't use an air gun but in my experience it doesn't damage the damper pistons...and it's the only way to keep it all tight.

does the noise sound like the spring twisting and twanging back into place? thats what i had

Nope its pretty much a "clunk" going over bumps / rough surface / on sharp acceleration etc. Springs are seated correctly in the cap as thats the reason i had the struts apart in the first place.

The nut needs tightening pretty damn hard or it'll work loose. I know damper manufacturers say don't use an air gun but in my experience it doesn't damage the damper pistons...and it's the only way to keep it all tight.

Righto thats what I wanted to hear (that I'm not alone). Will get the use of air tools......

Have you checked that the nut below the top plate is also tight?

Yeah whenever I got clunking I redid both nuts. I think a neighbour has air tools so will be round to his later.....