Sign in to follow this  
Serial

How to lower sunroof jammed in tilted up position?

Hi All

Does anybody have any advice as to how to lower the sunroof down from the tilted up position? Something has broken in the mechanism and only the driver's side sliders are moving -- so that side tilts down fine but the passenger side stays put. I'm thinking I may be able to hook something around the mechanism somehow and 'help' it slide down...?

Here's a pic of my temporary 'bandage' ;o)

Image026.jpg[/attachment:2fqme5xx]

Cheers!

Tom

Hi mate, something similar happened to me not so long ago, except it was the whole sunroof stuck on tilt! :shock: Firstly if you have the instruction manual there should be instructions on shutting it manually... ( mine is an early spec 16v, yours might be later so I dont know if that makes a difference) I used a knife to gently prise out the interior light/ switch panel from the side. Then unplugged this panel. This should reveal 2 screws at the front which hold the cover in place, un screw these then mine slid backwards to unclip. On the sunroof motor there is a big flat headed screw with a smaller plastic screw ( delicate ) in the centre of it. I used a screwdriver to push in the little plastic screw which must disengage the motor and then turn the big screw to manually shut the roof.

As mentioned before yours might be different if a later model and I hope all that made sense :)

Hi, cheers for the reply... but I already tried that and unfortunately it didn't work... I think the cable on the left side of the mechanism has broken so even using the screwdriver doesn't make that side move.

I think you're right about the different mechanism -- my Corrado has a different one to the one you describe -- mine has an allen key in a clip on the motor casing which you use to turn a hex-head bolt to manually operate the mechanism...

Try this -

Remove the interior light and trim as above so you can get access to the motor. Remove the 2 screws holding the motor in place and let it hang loose.

You can now move the mechanisms on each side independently of each other. There is a pin that on each mechanism that you can grab hold of to move forward or backward.

Firstly, you will need to remove the interior sunroof panel to gain access to the sliders BUT I'm not sure how to do that bit.

Dave

Hi Dave, I just tried your suggestion and it worked -- the sunroof is now most of the way down, thanks :) I think to get it fully down I'll need to remove the headlining from it as you suggest...

Tom

Hi Dave, I just tried your suggestion and it worked -- the sunroof is now most of the way down, thanks :) I think to get it fully down I'll need to remove the headlining from it as you suggest...

Tom

Great stuff, glad to help :clap: