Sign in to follow this  
kuipers23

KR Cam for 2.0 16v

Hi

I am interested in puuting the KR camshaft into my 2.0 16v. I just have a few questions before I start buying stuff.

Does the cam fit directly into the 2.0 16v engine? Is there a particular year you should get?

Do you need any other parts or is it just the camshaft?

Is there a source on the net where you can buy the cam shafts?

How much work is it to fit the new camshaft?

I have a 1994 2.0 16v corrado.

Thanks in advance.

Does the cam fit directly into the 2.0 16v engine?

The inlet cam is a direct swap for the inlet cam on yours

Is there a particular year you should get?

Any 1.8 16v corrado or Mk2 golf'll do you

Do you need any other parts or is it just the camshaft?

It's probably worth replacing the chain that joins the 2 cams together and while you're at it you could change the cam belt and tensioner

Is there a source on the net where you can buy the cam shafts?

They seem to pop up semi-frequently on here and Edition38 forums, you should pay around the £25 - £30 mark to get one and have it delivered.

How much work is it to fit the new camshaft?

A Garage like Stealth racing will charge about £150 for this job.

To do it yourself you'll need to remove all the inlet system, crank the engine round using the bolt on the crankshaft until its at TDC then remove the cam cover, mark up the distributor, slacken cam belt tensioner remove top caps from cams..... lift out and swap in the KR cam & new chain, replace all other bits and start to set the engine timing again. Basic and i've probably forgotton bits....but gives you an idea

Thanks thats very helpful.

Excuse my ignorance. I am assuming it is twin over head cam. Do you not need to replace both or is it just the inlet cam?

I have a mechanic who will do it. I just want to make sure I have all the correct parts. My cam belt was changed at 60,000 miles. It has only done 35,000 since then. I think it will last another 20,000 or so.

Have you put the kr cam in yours? Does it make a difference? I bough a new chip which helped quite a bit and I will probably get a decat in teh next two weeks.

Just the inlet cam is needed i have 1 forsale and il be doing a cam fitting guide for the wiki when i change mine

Have you put the kr cam in yours? Does it make a difference? I bough a new chip which helped quite a bit and I will probably get a decat in teh next two weeks.

No but i will be very soon!!

I had one in my last 2.0 16v and it made a nice difference. Replace the rocker cover gasket while you're in there ;)

How much do you want for the inlet cam?

Post and packing included.

I live in the UK.

£32 delivered its the later type cam which will have the correct chainwheel to match yours.

Early golf chinwheels have pointy teeth on chainwheels, later golfs and corrados have flatter teeth which was supposed to make them quieter.