Sign in to follow this  
TimVR

Water temps - how high is safe?

Hi all,

yet again I appear to be taking rather than giving to this forum - I apologise (and must make a donation!).

The radiator on my VR has burst, but the car can only go in on Friday - I have no other option but to drive it until then. I'm topping up with antifreeze and water (10%v/v). What is the maximum safe water temp I can run to?

The coolant light doesn't seem to come on (is that for level and temp?) and at the moment I have reached a max of about 100C - feels a lot hotter in the cabin cos I have the blowers on full to drag the heat of the engine!!). Oil temp maintained at about 100C, no different to usual. Once the temp gets near 100C I switch the engine of for a couple of minutes.

Not sure if the sensor is knacked cos the expansion tank is well under min by the end of the journey.

Does this sound ok to you all.

Many thanks in advance,

Tim

When my fan wasn't working I used be totally paranoid as it blew a hose at 100. But I've regularly seen it run up to 110 with no problem.

I tend to try and release the pressure in the expansion tank regularly to relive the pressure on the hoses. Just be careful not to burn yourself. :mad:

yet again I appear to be taking rather than giving to this forum - I apologise (and must make a donation!).

Such is the nature of Corrado ownership..

Sounds like from the rest of your message you're on top of the problem. 100 degrees on oil and water is not a problem. Obviously you want to stop and allow the water to cool at 100, cos otherwise it's just going to increase *pressure* instead, which will cause water loss to accelerate drastically, but if you're maintaining this sequence then hopefully you'll be able to limp through till Friday.

When my top hose went, the water warning light came on, but I think it's pressure based, not level, so it only comes on when the pressure in the system drops too far.

I think the VW handbooks will tell you that anywhere on the gauge is OK for the water temp. If there is a problem the led should flash to warn you. The LED will come on for both low level and overheat situations. I'd just carry plenty of water around with you til friday and top up when required.

Be aware though, the temp gauge may stop working, if the water level drops far enough that the sender is not immersed in water. I saw that on my G60 when the headgasket went.

Gavin