Sign in to follow this  
ikala476

Please help, Corrado G60

Hi, my son have a 1990 G-60 Corrado. We try to change the timing belt but all came out wrong :help: . My son try to start the car before putting the belt tenssioner :bad-words: . Now all is out of order, the crankshaft, camshaft, auxiliary, everything :confused4: . Please, How I put all this back to fix the timing :cry: . Thanks for your help :notworthy: .

Hallo,

To reset all the bits back to 0 degrees for timing:

Remove the plug from the gearbox end plate where it joins the engine, inside is the flywheel, rotate the engine by hand until the 0 deg mark appears and line it up with the 'V' that is cast into the gearbox housing. That will set the crankshaft to the timing position.

Camshaft, there are 2 dots on the outer face (opposite side to the camshaft cover), these need to be placed either side of the top of the cylinder head. There is also a mark on the camshaft cover side of the camshaft pulley - this needs to be inline with the top of the cylinder head but is difficult to see with the camshaft cover fitted.

Intermediate shaft (the other pulley) This has a dot on the pulley and you will need to refit the bottom crankshaft pulley that drives the G-lader (serpentine belt pulley) to set it correctly. There is a notch cut out of the serpentine belt pulley and the pulley should only fit on one way, align the dot on the intermediate shaft pulley so that it sits into the notch on the serpentine belt pulley.

Then refit the timing belt, dont worry if the intermediate shaft pulley moves a little, it only powers the oil pump and the distributor. You can adjust the distributor by undoing the bolt at the base of the distributor and turning it to change the timing. You are looking for between 4-8 degrees BTDC at 2000-2500 RPM with a minimum of 80 degs oil temp, all electrical consumers off (inc rad fan) and the blue temp sensor will need to be disconnected.

very lucky it was an 8v, would have been a bit expensive if you'd spun up a 16v with the belt off, many bent valves me thinks.

Do you know where I can find some pics of this process? I have an idea how to do it, but I think some pics will help me a lot. Thanks........

Do you know where I can find some pics of this process? I have an idea how to do it, but I think some pics will help me a lot. Thanks........

a mk2 golf Haynes manual will give you pretty much what you need, the G60 is pretty much a 1.8 8v golf engine.