Cheapmods

Cheapmods G60 Project - 1.8T or G60??

1st off I'd like to introduce myself. I'm a new VW owner of a poor neglected C :wave:

(My 1st post was in the interior section & is very similar to this one, tho it's strictly interior based)

I bought her off a friend that disassembled her about 2yrs ago and she's been left to rot ever since. The motor has been kept indoors and the interior just sat uninstalled in the car.

Anyway, I need some help! I'm a Porsche tech, so i have the needed skills to deal with this lump of parts, but as far as VW goes, I know nothing. I have been lurking on here for a month or so now and have gone thru the knowledge base, and searched, but i haven't quite everthing i need to know. :shrug: I plan on using this and the other thread as a build diary so stay tuned.

After much consideration i've decided to stick with the 8v g60 it came with.

my plans are:

- Stage 4 p&p w/wide belt & 68mm pulley

- RS outlet

- Howister intake

- full exhaust (haven't narrowed brands down)

- TT 260/268 camshaft

- ISV re route

- 3.5 FPR

- SNS chip

- Upgraded oil cooler

:clap: Miss anything???

The car also came with a set of Tokico shocks and Eibach Pro=kit springs & i'm undecided on using those...any suggestions? :shrug:

Now for the pics :norty:

EXTERIOR:

G60Project003.jpg

G60Project002.jpg

G60Project001.jpg

ENGINE / ENGINE BAY:

G60Project004.jpg

G60Project008.jpg

G60Project009.jpg

G60Project010.jpg

PROGRESS SO FAR:

I've started stipping down the engine and been degreasing everything. the rear main seal was leaking and caused a bit of a mess. :pukeright: I have a full engine seal set, and plan on purchasing the internal mods and sending off the charger within the week. I checked out the injectors and found one to be total garbage & the rest only mediocre... the injector harness was trash so i made a new one today using genuine AG wiring...well Porsche AG. Perks of the job 8). Judging from the state of the "green tops" i'm just gonna spring for some "red tops"

I hooked up a battery and tested a few things out to see what works and doesn't...to my surprise the spoiler is in good working order along with the headlights, wipers (well front ones at least), horn, locks and drivers window. passenger window needs a regulator. while i wait for the goodies to arrive i'll be stipping the interior and prepping it for new sound proofing and start on some minor body work.

STAY TUNED!

comments and suggestions welcome.

P.S. - check out the interior thead as well.

Miss anything???

some new rims?

is it me or does that front one look like it has a flat spot :shock:

i haven't quite decided on wheels, however, i do like the Racing Hart CR 2 pc wheel. not sure if they still make them tho.

and, yes, that is a flat on the rf

tokico's are infact asian. I've had experience with them on japanese cars, and they are pretty good, just wondering if i should get some euro made struts that may be more geared toward the Corrado. :shrug:

any good vendor suggestions for clutch/flywheel?

I'm getting most of the engine goodies from Bahn Brenner and Kompressor Kanada

Welcome :wave: . If you really want to free your engine then you are looking at 2 other mods. Firstly get rid of the crappy side mount intercooler and get a fron tmount one (preferable from a Golf G60 as they are a direct fit). Secondly a flowed head, especially if you are going to use a modified cam. Assuming you are in the US, then Bahn Brenner would be your first port of call....

Heres a link to my old members thread - I did a lot of work to my old G60 and it got daily hard driving. Being a bit lazy but check the list - you might find more mods that will work for you viewtopic.php?f=11&t=19558&st=0&sk=t&sd=a&start=30.

As JMC said - the flowed head is a great move - you can go one step further though and get a big valved head - one of the best mods I did to it. I'd confidently say the other best mods done were the engine mounts, oil cooler and suspension. The rest were certainly secondary... The ISV reroute is usually not advisable. And you may find you dont need the 3.5FPR - well not at first anyway - at 203bhp 197lbs/ft mine didn't need it. Supersprint exhausts are heavy but well regarded - I was happy with mine and it was of good quality - but eventually the weight pissed me off. Consider sticking with the std air box and just replace the filter - dont get a cone filter.

After going on track with it I realised the springs were too soft at 250/200, OEM bushes the same (despite being new), the 280mm single piston brakes were highly insufficient, gear ratios could do with changing a bit and the water cooling was not up to par. The power and delivery felt good! Had I of kept the car, those shortcomings were what I was going to next focus on.

Plenty of reading to be found on G60s here - but just ask if youve any q's - happy to help out. You're doing what I always wanted to with mine - good luck with the project :) Might be easier for you to use a thread under the Members Gallery too for a build diary?

I'd def. like to get the front mount from the Golf, but they're not too common in the states...nor is the Corrado in my area. I honestly can't recall ever seeing one down here :shrug:

should i just keep an eye on the classified section for one or are there other options?

also, Leon, why stay with the stock airbox??

Because the material that most use allows particles to travel through and collect in the charger. The OEM or something like a K&N panel filter is better long term wise. Personally think induction kits are loads of money for little gain. I'd put the money into the head/cam, exhaust, map and gearbox and come back to the rest. Not forgetting brakes and suspension.

I get what you're saying about the filter, seeing as the charger is so sensitive, but I've only heard to stay away from foam type filters.

I went on Bahn Brenners site and made a huge grocery list of parts totalling out over $4,500 USD.... :shock:

Since that's not even including the charger rebuild, i think i'm gonna cut the list back a bit.

If you're wondering how i managed such a large bill it's because i'm replacing a lot of OE things along with upgrading parts.

I'm replacing both motor mounts, trans mount, 02 sensor, knock sensor, plugs, wires, injectors, coil, cap, rotor, all filters,wheel bearings, tie rods, etc. I mean the car is nearly 20yrs old. I don't wanna build a monster and have it blow up or have noisy wheel bearings just because i wanted to save a buck. I'm focusing on a total package 8)

right now i'm seeing what kind of price breaks i can get thru work. Since i work at a Porsche/Audi dealer we can also get some good deals on VW parts :norty:

I'M SO ANXIOUS TO GET ROLLING!!! :nuts:

I don't think anyone is surprised by the large bill my fried, it is a corrado after all!

Good for you in doing things right...even though your username is cheapmods! :scratch: :lol:

Have you considered a charge cooler instead of FMIC?

I'm currently waiting for mine to arrive and I'll let you know how it goes

I don't think anyone is surprised by the large bill my fried, it is a corrado after all!

Good for you in doing things right...even though your username is cheapmods! :scratch: :lol:

the username dates back to when i was broke busted and disgusted. I've always been handy and found ways to do mods cheaper than it would cost to buy them, such as clearing and blacking out headlights, different color interior lighting for gauges and switches, etc. besides DIY is always cheaper, and just can be just as professional as long as the parts are good quality and you pretty much know what you're doing

thanks for the props! :clap:

as for the bill, i orignally only considered pricing for upgades. once i decided to "do it right" is when the tab jumped up

well since my growing thread got moved to Member's Gallery (thanks for that) I guess i'll expand my diary a bit more!

Here are pics of the sub par interior as i got it

G60Project015.jpg

G60Project014.jpg

G60Project013.jpg

Door skins in good shape :clap:

G60Project012.jpg

Chaos

G60Project011.jpg

Front seats need recovering. Leather is hard and worn also split at seams

G60Project007.jpg

Stitching gave out in a few spot :(

G60Project006.jpg

Rear seats in good condition

G60Project005.jpg

8) Vehicle Updates: 8)

- CARPET -

-After searching and searching and searching, I got one of the parts guys at work to look up the carpets. we found out that VW only has the front carpets still available as old/new stock :bad-words: The middle and rear hatch carpets are no longer available. So once we had the part number we searched for availability and found out that there were only 2 left in the country and they cost $600 USD :camp:

Luckily I found a guy on eBay that is parting out 2 C's and snagged a full carpet set and headliner off him for much less than the $600 the front carpets would have cost me :nuts:

I also have Dynamat Xtreme on the way, so within the next week the interior should be well underway. :salute:

Can't wait to get all the engine work going, but for not i've just been checking all the wiring for each system and replacing the brittle or frayed wiring with new stuff. I'll try to get a pic up of my newly made injector harness up within the next day or so, as i am quite proud of it LOL

Thanks for the help and support guys!

here's some new pics of the injector harness

fable127.jpg

fable128.jpg

pics of my progress... not done yet

Polished manifold (i know you can hardly see it once it's installed, but whatever)

fable130.jpg

fable131.jpg

fable132.jpg

fable134.jpg

if anyone's interested i made some progress this weekend. I shipped off the carger to Bahn Brenner and got some OE parts in (not yet installed) which include full wheel bearing set, knock sensor and new clutch kit.

also this weekend i installed dynamat in the interior, check it out!

G60Project019.jpg

G60Project017.jpg

G60Project016.jpg

G60Project020.jpg

looking good mate, bet all the sound deadening wasnt cheap! lol

you getting everything put back oe i mean you getting the seats redone black or going for the showcar look? :)

still up in the air on that, as i haven't gotten a price yet :roll:

I have 3 options in mind

1. recover in stock black leather

2. Black leather with gray alcantara inserts

3. buy the recaro's a buddy of mine has in his garage collecting dust

still up in the air on that, as i haven't gotten a price yet :roll:

I have 3 options in mind

1. recover in stock black leather

2. Black leather with gray alcantara inserts

3. buy the recaro's a buddy of mine has in his garage collecting dust

Looks really good mate - the soundproofing should make a big difference. As for the seats - I have black leather with grey alcantara and can vouch for thembeing a) very comfy, b) not making you slide around on them when cornering and c) being warm in winter unlike the all leather ones. :clap:

thanks for the kind words. To answer the question of price, i actually found the Dynamat really cheap at ikesound.com it was $110 USD for 36sq ft and $45 for the door kit. The package only weighed 20lbs, so i don't consider that much weight to add for what it's gonna do. plus i look at it this way, stock flywheel weighs near 30lbs and i'm getting one that's only 8lbs, so i'm right back where i started 8)

I was VERY pleased with how much that one pack covered, but now after looking at it again i'm contemplating getting another pack and doing a true pro quality job. One of my main goals is to make this car feel just as fresh as any new car out today, yet keep the retro style.

I'm so anxious to hear from Bahn Brenner about the charger.... suspense and anticipation is killing me :pale:

JMC i love your ride, if i remember right you have boxster brakes and said that you used Seat brackets, can you be more specific? do you get them from brembo?

boost monkey, i saw you landed a sweet job, congrats!

thanks for the kind words. To answer the question of price, i actually found the Dynamat really cheap at ikesound.com it was $110 USD for 36sq ft and $45 for the door kit. The package only weighed 20lbs, so i don't consider that much weight to add for what it's gonna do. plus i look at it this way, stock flywheel weighs near 30lbs and i'm getting one that's only 8lbs, so i'm right back where i started 8)

I love the logic behind this! strip unnecessary weight to improve something else. Genius :cheers:

boost monkey, i saw you landed a sweet job, congrats!

Thanks dude :salute: Heard last night that the Aston won in Monza (Italy) at the weekend. Our luck is changing at last!

sorry no more pics today :(

but for an update...

Carpet and headlining arrived today, however i haven't even seen them :?

just pumped up about it and thought i'd share