Cheapmods

Cheapmods G60 Project - 1.8T or G60??

yaahh!! updates!! :laugh:

so like i mentioned i got started with some degreasing and body work this past weekend. here's a pic of a lil degreaser action

G60Project036.jpg

G60Project037.jpg

G60Project038.jpg

ok so i lied it was 3 pics.

Anyways, that worked out well and all this week i've been trying to find time to work on the engine, and it took me till last night to do more than just throw it on the rotisserie. :brickwall:

Nonetheless I did finally do something here's what i got...

G60Project029.jpg

G60Project027.jpg

G60Project025.jpg

G60Project031.jpg

G60Project032.jpg

As i stripped it down i truly realized how badly this engine needed a reseal. :pale:

G60Project026.jpg

that valve cover gasket was as brittle as grandma's bones :gag:

oh and here's a pic of the goods :lol: :lol:

G60Project028.jpg

So on with my box of goodies i continued on 8)

and after about 30mins work i made this progress

G60Project034.jpg

G60Project033.jpg

and although it's not much i feel better knowing i did a little something. :wink:

hopefully i'll get more time next week and get more accomplished. Plus, my big BBM shipment and newly ported/rebuild charger should be here at the end of next week as well, but since my anniversary is on the 19th, i may not get much done next weekend. No harm done i guess, just VERY anxious to get all this moving and closer to something that resembles a car

hope you enjoy and as always FEEDBACK WELCOME!!

:lol: cheers!

JMC i love your ride, if i remember right you have boxster brakes and said that you used Seat brackets, can you be more specific? do you get them from brembo?

Cheers mate :D The brakes you need are Boxster S callipers (they are made for 28mm thick discs), you can then use the Seat carriers (from an Ibiza Cupra R - the callipers are the same size as the Brembos), and Seat Ibiza Cupra R discs (304mm x 28mm thick with a 4x100 bolt pattern). You will also need to get some hoses. I bought the whoe setup from someone on here (sorry). In fact mine is a bit of a hybrid - I mistakenly bought Boxster callipers believing them to be Boxster S ones. The previous cowboy owner had ground down the pads to make them fit, so this time round I got AP Racing 2 piece discs in a 25.4mm thickness, and spaced the callipers out further, allowing me to go from 305mm to 315mm.

I see you've got air-com - I had it in my G60 and took it out (hadn't worked in years) and that gave me room for the FMIC - I think you may struggle with air con to fit one in there :( :(

like the title says what is this?

untitled.jpg

they were both in my seal/gasket set & they BOTH look like they should be the intake mani gasket, but why does one have that odd loop? are there 2 possible configurations and only one is needed?

thanks for the :help:

I'm fairly sure on some blocks there is a bolt the goes in the looped bit but its not on all i used the normall shaped one when i did my head.

Hope this helps

Lee

One of those is for a different engine.

Use the one which fits, you only need one intake manifold gasket (iirc, you need the one WITHOUT loop)

well a teeny bit more progress today but it feels like a big step. LOL

I pulled the head off the ole 1.8 and everything looks good. 8) At least i know i'm working with a solid platform to start, right.

I think the main reason it feels so big is that it once again got the wheels turning... :cuckoo:

My buddy at work, Chris, loves the veedub & he's keeping me in line :hitler: hahaha. He noticed the cylinders were a tad bit dirty and was like "Hey, are you gonna re-ring it & rehone the cylinders? cuz you might as well. I mean, you've done everything right so far, why not? If it were me....that's what i would do..."

ARRRGH!! Peer pressure!! Gotta love it! So anyway he did have a good point & i wanna do it anyways. I'm just a bit worried about going over budget....hmmm what the heck was my budget?? I think i'm already past it :help: I think the VW bug has me in a stranglehold!

Honestly, I bought the project cuz it was cheap & i figured, if nothing else, i could make a quick buck on it. But now... being so deep in the engine and having put so much effort into the interior, amongst other things, it's starting to get hold of me. Like "here I am, the project you've always wanted to build" :clap:

I'm starting to consider hiking up the budget and plans for this little creature, but that would mean that the timeline would have to increase accordingly :(

Having never driven a C on the road, it really gets me down. I'm so anxious to see what this is all about & i know that when i take that 1st drive i'll be ecstatic simply because i know i built it from the ground up, the right way.

So now that i'm this far, i'm beginning to have some questions and i'd like some serious input....

1. should i just sell my freshly rebuilt/ported charger & go turbo?

Arguments:

- this again would extend the build time

- My original goal for the C was to update it to make it "like new" since it'll be a daily

2. Block is alredy torn down, should i go 1.9L??

Questions:

- I KNOW, I KNOW....USE THE SEARCH (i will, but heck this is a build diary & may be useful in the future :norty: )

- What's involved other than pistons?

My power goals are meager and reasonable (i think). I'm looking to get NO MORE than 300hp to the wheels, because IMO anything more is somewhat pointless on a front driver... too many traction issues. I've seen a Camaro with 1500whp spin the rims inside of the tires and not move one inch. A bit extreme I know, but aside from it looking cool and downright strange it's just about my point. Who cares how much hp you have if it's unusable.

So enough ranting.

Power goal = 225whp - 250whp

Torque goal = :shrug: LOL

Apologies for no pics today BoostMonkey....soon i promise

And sorry for the long rant, i'm tired and it may not make much sense, but i hope i can get some good feedback on it.

as always, thanks for reading & hope you enjoyed :salute:

stop bitching and get on with it :nono: :D

lol stick with the G mate no other car sounds like it!!

cant really comment on the other mods

I'm sure you'll love driving it

good luck whatever

300whp, afaik, is pushing it if you're staying with the PG 8v engine. To make that you're looking at 350-375 fly which is probably more than the little enigne can take.

If you swapped in a 16v engine though.... now that would be doable!

No probs on the pics, nice to have a little read and hear your reasonings! :salute:

Personally if your wanting big big power i would ditch the G-lader.. :D without going to a silly pully they cant flow enough air to make huge huge power.

Although use the G-lader with the right mods, 1.9L block, Big Valve HEad amongst other goodies etc etc.. 270bhp at the flywheel is fairly easy... but thats not exactly cheap :D

stop bitching and get on with it :nono: :D

lol stick with the G mate no other car sounds like it!!r

Amen brother, that was originally why i wanted to rebuild it w/the supercharger vs. turbo. So yeah i definitely need to quit getting distracted. Thanks for that :salute:

And to Boost....

[quote="

I've just seen too many people meeting or surpassing the 300 mark using the PG block to rule it out.

Have you? :scratch:

I've just seen too many people meeting or surpassing the 300 mark using the PG block to rule it out.

Have you? :scratch:

i'll do my research and post some examples. I didn't mean it as "everyone does it"

more like "it can be done, cuz i've seen someone else do it"

Im not suggesting that it isn't possible mate, just that by the way you worded it it sounded like it's a common thing when tbh the only PG's ive seen making over 300 (or anywhere near) have been turbo'd and i've not seen many of those :)

As far as I know there's only 1 8v on here that's broken the 300bhp mark

Im not suggesting that it isn't possible mate, just that by the way you worded it it sounded like it's a common thing when tbh the only PG's ive seen making over 300 (or anywhere near) have been turbo'd and i've not seen many of those :)

As far as I know there's only 1 8v on here that's broken the 300bhp mark

Oh, you thought i meant 300 with a supercharger... Naw, i know that's out of the question. Turbo all the way for big power, but it'd also include some other major work. i.e. big front mount to rid added heat, better oil cooling, all the head/valve goodies, etc, etc. not to mention the work involved with the chip or standalone.

Well I guess page 3 was quite productive :wink:

Just kinda reminding me that i've got my head in the clouds, if i think i'm gonna go this big right off the bat. it's quite unrealistic if i wanna keep my timeline and loose budget intact. I guess, if nothing else, it shows that i've got big plans for this car and it's apparently not going anywhere for awhile. welcome to the family??

yeah i'm familiar with junkie's thread. anyway, screw homework on high hp corrado's... I got one i have to restore first. i think i'm getting a bit ahead of myself. :wink:

Shortly after i joined this forum, I noticed the thread titled "g60 owners...please read this," so i did. But by then end, i got all confused, cuz supposedly i need to replace my PG block G60's crank bolt with a PG motors crank bolt?? :scratch:

what???

now i know the corrado wasn't the only g60, so are there other engine codes associated with a g60? I noticed it originally suggested to change it out with a DX engine's bolt. what's a DX engine? And when should i replace this crank bolt? specific mileage?

I want to change this now if need be, since i'm changing what seems like the entire engine, but what am i replacing it with?

(NOTE: the above is a copy of what i posted in the original "please read this" thread, when i get a definitive answer i'll be sure it get's posted here as well)

And on a related note...

When changing my head bolts and main bolts, should i go with ARP bolts or just VW OEM ones? Now before you jump and say ARP, consider this...

- ARP head bolts cost $135USD vs. OEM bolts that only cost $20USD... That's a HUGE price difference

- ARP bolts are 30% stronger than the OE spec ones 190,000psi vs. 145,000psi

- Now I understand 45,000psi is also a huge difference, but do i really need that kinda strength on a Stage IV build? I could see if i was going after 300+hp (there that number is again hehe) but is that overkill or just $100 invested in extra safety? What would you do? Should i just get OE and use the extra cash elsewhere like getting the valves cleaned up, lapped, and head decked?

first off, one of the interior as it stands now.

Notice the right side of the dash and center console. I wiped them down with some mother's back to black (which i know is for exterior trim, but hey it worked like a charm)

CHECK IT!

G60Project049.jpg

As mentioned earlier I popped the head off and this is what i found

G60Project046.jpg

no more cross hatch :(

dirty valves (not worse than expected)

G60Project048.jpg

And a ready to be changed camshaft

G60Project047.jpg

Here's some of the cleaned up intercooler

G60Project044.jpg

G60Project045.jpg

Although i'm sure it could be cleaned further :wink:

Next, i'll be cleaning up some slightly rusty bits like this

G60Project042.jpg

G60Project043.jpg

Lastly, here's the small amount of body work i've started

G60Project041.jpg

Although it's a whole bunch going on... interior, bodywork, engine, repainting misc bits, polishing the manifold, tracking wires, etc, etc. I kinda like it that way. I know that usually it's easier to get one job completely done before moving to the next, but this project doesn't quite give me that luxury. If i were to do that this car would take far longer than i'd like. Also this way, if i get burned out on one area, there's always something else to get done.

I LOVE THIS CAR! :clap:

Dude throw that intercooler inn the trash and get a Charge cooler or FMIC no point wasting time cleaning it!!

Progress looks good, Decided on a color yet or sticking with black?

Great work cheapmods :clap: , but definately time to look at a charge cooler. You might struggle with an FMIC with already having air con, but charge cooler would work. Keep it up mate.

Thanks for the kind words

Weetos, i'm sticking with silver. the black is what i painted on the hood to help me spot dents better.

As for the charge cooler idea, what are some good brands or websites to find 'em I was looking into a better way to cool the air, but FMIC wasn't the route i wanted to take just yet & i don't know much about the charge coolers. someone please educate me on some possible routes.

This is an awesome and inspiring thread :D It makes me want to go back to basics on mine too, sort out all the little niggles and rebuild it up again :clap:

boost monkey is doing that with his 1.8 16V, and I still have (long-term) plans for my G60 - like an FMIC or chargecooler - which will probs start soon with an engine strip/inspection/rebuild :salute: as it has done 173k miles :wink:

Loving the pics too, keep it up. Oh, and I was looking at these chargecoolers previously:

http://www.advancedvehicletuning.co.uk/avtpwr.htm

Pretty sure a few guys on here have used them... don't know if there is a US equivalent.