Cheapmods

Cheapmods G60 Project - 1.8T or G60??

well I was still in new dad mode & wound up switching jobs. This job pays much better, but the hours are long. I've decided to semi-postpone any forward progress till i finish buying the parts i need to finish the engine rebuild. namely, rod bearings, piston rings, & new studs. i also need to purchase a new flywheel.

if anyone is interested in trading seat belts with me please let me know. I want to get rid of the auto belt and have the standard setup

well that's all for now. hopefully i'll have something more to add to this soon

:salute: thanks for the update.

I might have some euro belts kicking about I can send you. Drop me a PM as a reminder to check.

Hope fatherhood is treatin you right"! :grin:

yeah so i said i was gonna be back on the radar, but wound up falling off :( :shrug:

THIS time i'm serious!! I may not have all the cash i need, since i decided to be responsible & nurture my kid & finish up the house :camp: , so i'm back on the case with the "free" (A.K.A. cheapmods) i can do for now.

I'm also gonna be selling multiple items that i've already replaced on eBay such as injectors, fpr, motor & trans mount, spare cluster, auto belt setup, possibly rear seats (red stripe cloth variety) and 3 sets of wheels. And i just happen to have a stock TT sway bar laying around too. I'm gonna take the profits from that & reinvest it in the g60. I can't wait to get her finished!!! :nuts:

updates as of last post:

- removed and disassembled suspension subframe

- currently cleaning & will soon be sand blasting and painting with POR 15

- removed front struts

- I need a list of part #'s for all the stuff that needs replacing if anyone might have that handy...

I have new shocks and new springs but i want to replace everything else. same for rear. Part #'s??

- further cleaned up engine bay

- moved all wiring to the side, plan to do some smoothing and deciding how to hide some wiring. i've seen them hidden in the frame rails, but i'm not crazy about that since it'll be much harder to repair and trace that way. I think i'm gonna run them in the recess where they were & make a cover plate for them instead.

- further stripped down the block & organized all parts a bit better into boxes and such

- decided to take a shot at repairing/ smoothing the front bumper

- I kept noticing the lumps in the rear apron and thinking "i should really fix that", then yesterday i cleaned out my back patio and saw the slightly mangled front bumper cover sitting there. I decided i want the smooth bumper look & figured i'd give it a shot myself. :wink: so far so good! & i know, worthless without pics... i'll post up tomorrow

in the mean time here's a reminder of how the bumper looked when i got it. Notice how mangled the lower grill/lip area is. i'm still undecided what to do with that.

G60Project002.jpg

oh, i'm also gonna be selling those fogs and big orange suckers.

I know most of you are UK but if anyone needs/wants anything i listed feel free to speak up

BTW - Boost, know it's been forever, but do you have the euro belts? I have a set of Porsche belts i'm porbably gonna use, i just have to figure out how to modify the trim pieces & pillar or what needs to be changed out.

Pictures as promised!!

So here's a quick recap of how i'm going about this

I wanna get rid of this....

S7301121.jpg

So i searched around to find a trash bumper skin to donate flesh & found this

S7301123.jpg

which i used to make this

S7301124.jpg

next we tack welded the piece in

S7301125.jpg

then continued till we filled the seam

S7301127.jpg

S7301128.jpg

Flipped it over and used 2 part epoxy plastic welder

S7301129.jpg

S7301130.jpg

Then used metal all body filler to fill in most of the low spots.

S7301131.jpg

S7301132.jpg

S7301133.jpg

After that i applied a skim coat of regular body filler to finish it off, which isn't pictured since i did that at about 11 last night...

My other project, cleaning up the engine bay, got started as well

S7301140.jpg

my only concern is that it's just a waste of time, since i won't be getting rid of anything except the carbon canister. The G60 engine bay pics that i've seen show a pretty filled space. I didn't have the benefit of seeing mine in it's original state, so i'm kinda in the dark. So for now i'm just smoothing out the seams and cleaning up the seams for the strut towers and the side trays where the battery and airbox go. other than that i'm leaving it alone

I mentioned earlier somewhere that i was looking into 6-spd swap options & mentioned the 02s. I found out that it is indeed a direct swap & here is the PVW article my info came from.

Corrado92.pdfPVW Article - PAGE - 01.jpg[/attachment:2q3ydlns]passat climatronic wiring diags.pdfPVW Article - PAGE - 02.jpg[/attachment:2q3ydlns]climatronic wiring-Golf from May 01.pdfPVW Article - PAGE - 03.jpg[/attachment:2q3ydlns]2.8l 24v Climatronic system.pdfPVW Article - PAGE - 04.jpg[/attachment:2q3ydlns]PVW Article - PAGE - 05.jpg[/attachment:2q3ydlns]

hopefully that info will help someone out there. :salute:

and I KNOW I KNOW...it's AMAZING ole cheapmods posted an attachment instead of a page busting image of each! :p

I however am tired of the G60 sitting on jackstands, so instead of spending roughly another $4k on this puppy, i'm gonna cut the budget down to $2k and get it running (hopefully :roll: ) Then focus on all the extra goodness.

i'm hoping i can get this thing on the road before summer, but at this rate... :shrug:

well a buddy of mine, my boss actually, let me borrow his welder so this weekend (hopefully tonight) i plan to do a lil practicing with it before i tackle shaving the rear VW emblem and getting rid of a few holes under the hood.

i know the post is somewhat pointless, but i figure if i tell you guys i'm gonna do it, i'll feel slightly more obligated to actually get it done :wink:

Just another quick update post.

Ordered all new bearings ARP hardware, lightweight flywheel, TT +2mm cyl head kit, all new suspension parts, and a few other misc odd & ends... WOW now i'm broke again! :(

also picked up some 16" Rota slipstreams and will be picking up some Recaro's tomorrow :nuts:

I'm getting just a lil bit closer to having this thing road worthy... still a LONG ways off tho. here's some teaser pics

S7301366.jpg

S7301369.jpg

S7301379.jpg

S7301382.jpg

S7301385.jpg

S7301393.jpg

S7301394.jpg

S7301395.jpg

Damn straight this is overdue! :lol: I guess being a dad allows you some time between posts :wink:

looks like it's all coming together nicely. Good intercooler choice too, that will flow well.

Keep the updates coming (and let me know when you're in blighty - i need some welding doing!)

yeah the head is going under the knife within the month & i'm hoping to start assembly by mid April, but we all know how that goes. :roll:

I can't wait to get all the goody boxes together! :clap: :norty:

most of my body work is complete, but i've been going back over everything just for good measure. may also do a lil something with the fenders, but it won't be much since i'm only running 16x7s for now, and she won't be slammed down yet either, but as they say "in due time" :nuts:

Update:

Just received shipment including rod bearings, main bearings, thrust washers, ARP main studs, Piston rings, oil pump, and new timing belt kit.

picked these up yesterday :nuts:

need a lil TLC to get them tip top, but all in all they're pretty close to mint :clap: :clap:2.8l 24v Climatronic system.pdfS7301415.JPG[/attachment:2f7amrpp]S7301411.JPG[/attachment:2f7amrpp]

now i need to figure out how to mount them correctly. I noticed A20 LEE has, what looks like, identical recaros....hmmm

**EDIT** - checked A20 LEE's thread and confirmed my suspicion that they were corrado recaro frames....guess I'll have to get out the easy mig again :brickwall: (wish i had a REAL welder...that one is crap :bad-words: , but it still gets the job done :cry: )

Updates updates!!! :clap:

There monkey, updates in a timely fashion :lol:

1st off the Recaros.... no update. :wink: I just stared at the 2 seats & i'm still not sure what i'm gonna do. I'd really rather not butcher the original seat frame because i'd really like to sell those & who wants one without a frame, right?

It would make things quite easy tho....hmmmm

2nd, I have all my suspension parts :nuts:

stromlaufplan_gamma4.pdfS7301418.JPG[/attachment:rub85fts]

Corrado92.pdfS7301420.JPG[/attachment:rub85fts]

so i went ahead & started assembly. UNTIL.... I realized i forgot to order 2 parts. The Top hat piece for the front struts (the ones that pretty much hold it in the strut tower) and the little spring seat plate on the rears (the ones monkey forgot to install 1st go round) :bad-words: . Sot that stopped that lil project.

**Psst!** - Does anyone have the part numbers for those missing pieces? :wink:

Today i decided to finish up stripping down the block so i can get it all cleaned up & here's the pics :salute:

passat climatronic wiring diags.pdfS7301430.JPG[/attachment:rub85fts]

climatronic wiring-Golf from May 01.pdfS7301431.JPG[/attachment:rub85fts]

2.8l 24v Climatronic system.pdfS7301432.JPG[/attachment:rub85fts]

S7301433.JPG[/attachment:rub85fts]

I have a few more shots to share, but i don't quite have the time to post 'em

~Enjoy!!

Just a quick update, have a UPS delivery coming today from Bahn Brenner weighing in at about 50lbs can't wait to drool over my new parts :clap:

very cool project mate! im sure being a dad is most important thing atm but your still doing well!

your workspace is a bit cramped.

:)

It's kinda hard to imagine all the parts i have in my attic, shed, back patio, & in the car all belong in such a small space :cuckoo:

Once i get the funds i'll get the necessary machining on the block & head then you should see the thread have more steady updates. Money makes the world go round and that includes Corrados :lol:

more new parts to stare at :wink: (you know i REALLY can't wait to get to the assembly portion of this project.)

anyways, as always, for your viewing pleasure....

BBM Shipment including Poly bushings, ARP rod bolts, oil pan & windage tray, new crank bolt, int. shaft bearing, water pump, the rest of my Mocal Oil cooler kit (Push lock style), and ACT 8lb flywheel... Also included by accident was a eurosport lightweight flywheel weighing 14lbs. And, yes, I did the honest thing and called 'em up to nitify them of the mix up. Don't want that bad Karma coming at me :camp:

2.8l 24v Climatronic system.pdfS7301500.JPG[/attachment:2yv9wvgg]

Shiny aint it :lol:

S7301501.JPG[/attachment:2yv9wvgg]

omg, that last update was like 10 weeks ago and with a teaser post of all those sweet parts!

I need an update - I'm addicted...

I wish i could help :(

I did manage to get it scuffed and primed (though not 100% finished with body work). Mainly cuz we're having a get together at the house and the wifey thought it looked a bit messy all different colors :lol:

One thing i would VERY VERY VERY much appreciate is if someone could get me the part number for the top hat piece for the front strut... The part that more or less holds the strut assembly to the car at the top... the crazies at my local dealer hear '90 corrado & it's like i said a curse word :cuckoo:

Once i get that i can have her off jack stands, which i would very much like to see.

Please help!!

Finding the cash to get the machine work finished has been a wall i just can't bust thru :brickwall:

:epicfail:

by top hat you mean brass coloured plates? They're called spring plates in the Bentley, I would go with that. The rubber bit on top is just the top mount. :salute:

p.s. sorry to hear about the engine, just gonna go back and read it through... :pale:

so here's the little speck of progress i did actually make. MOST of the body work is complete, but now the car is one color and all the major body parts are back on for now. I kinda dig this look. what do you guys think??

S7300448.JPG[/attachment:2ax88zem]

so here's the little speck of progress i did actually make. MOST of the body work is complete, but now the car is one color and all the major body parts are back on for now. I kinda dig this look. what do you guys think??

S7300448.JPG[/attachment:3e01lqzr]

What the "some C**t has nick me wheels!" look? :lol:

Nah, that primer looks good but i think you'll be happier once you put a lick of paint on her... it just looks good because the paint is all one colour again!

Nice thread by the way, your really sticking in the effort :thumb right: