Sign in to follow this  
Go-rado

My Corrado Project

Looks great! Have to say i've never seen a gold coloured manifold but it sorta works on a green car! :)

Look forward to seeing how this car progresses :)

sounds good

is it deffo Dragon Green?

looks like LC6V "Blue Green Pearl" to me ;)

Definitely Dragon Green, other photos out of the sunlight have it green rather than the apparent blue shown here!

As suggested, subframe now removed and as of this evening, now dismantled. Photo prior to spannering apart:

may08-002.jpg

So far so good!

I see Halfords is officially sponsoring yet another Corrado resto/project! :salute:

Good work buddy. How easy did you find dropping the subframe off with engine in situ? I'm looking to do this soon too.

I see Halfords is officially sponsoring yet another Corrado resto/project! :salute:

Good work buddy. How easy did you find dropping the subframe off with engine in situ? I'm looking to do this soon too.

For a only vaguely mechanic person like me, relatively straight forward. You'll need to support the engine/gearbox from above (since my support was a homemade affair, I'm using a trolley jack in the photo to support a bit of the weight too.

How easy the subframe comes off will I guess be dependent on how much corrosion exists on the various bolts. Other than the pinch bolt on the end of the steering column UJ, everything was fairly accessible and relatively easy to remove (if you have a 24" breaker bar) - you'll need the elusive 18mm socket though for the subframe bolts, a size which doesn't tend to appear in most socket sets.

It would probably be simpler as a two person job, but cause I'm a Billy no mates, I had to support the subframe with the Halfords trolley jack and gently lower it once free, with the hubs lashed up to my engine support brace to keep the assembly balanced!

The complete assembly is explitive heavy, which raises questions about re fitting it as a complete unit, so this is probably best done in bits. On mine, the engine/gearbox is coming out next and I will refit the subframe/steering without the engine in place making this less of a headache.

Yeah, I took one off before as a whole set: suspension struts plus hubs and all the brakes and driveshafts, then the subframe with wishbones and steering rack an ARB all attached to each other!

took two of us a lot of puff to struggle and lift it around the back of the house! :pale:

cheers for the info, I need to get a load leveller for my crane I think :salute:

More progress over the past couple of weeks. Some heavy duty castor wheels from Screwfix (£14.99), a few lengths of timber from Wickes (£15) plus a few screw and a home made trolley to simply wheel the engine out of the bay; priceless!

may08engineout1.jpg

And for a bit of fun, why not a longitudinally mounted engine? Looks so much better in there than transverse. Now there’s an idea; stop dreaming well beyond my capabilities….

may08longitudinal-1.jpg

This thread is bringing a whole new meaning to the term "DIY mechanic"! :D Keep up the good work mate! Looks like a nice Rado you've got there too.

Meanwhile, various bits have started to be purchased such as new control arms, bolts, clamps and other shiny bits and none more so than this:

manifoldtop.jpg

manifoldunder.jpg

50 mm intake manifold, smoothed and chrome plated!

What seemed to start as respray and clean up in the original colour is evolving into what I hope is going to be a show car standard Corrado, with a