Sign in to follow this  
Benny

I know its not corrado related but....A3 vs Golf?

Mornin all!

I know this isn't corrado-related, but as most of you seem to have experience of other cars I was hoping to pick your brains for a moment! I've recently sold my VR and i'm on the lookout for a new car. Originally, it was to be a diesel due to the crippling cost of petrol, but stupidally i've decided I can't live without a petrol car and have decided to go down the 1.8t route in the form of an a3 or vw golf mk4.....and I was just wandering if anyone had an opinion on which to go for or if anyone has any experience of owning one? :confused4: The audi's for some reason, seem to be slightly lower in price but i'm assuming thats down to the whole 'golf GTI' pedigree. I will be looking at the early models around 1998-2000 due to budget issues....

Any thoughts/opinions will be most welcome....

Thanks guys and gals,

Ben :D

A3's less than Golf's not around here they ain't , if i had to choose between 1.8t golf or A3 1.8t then at would be close but add the A3 1.8 180 bhp quattro into the mix and it's game over ,my choice of run about was between golf se or A3 se, A3 has a lot more kit as standard little things like window control off the remote is standard ,full climate , auto dim rear view mirror ( this may sound like something you dont need but it works great ) but the main thing for me with the se spec was the golf don't come in 3 door se , very happy with my car ,one thing i would add if i could do it cheaply would be a DIS or MFA as we know it ,this comes standard on the sport models

pic of mine , changed the wheels and added 20v badges front and rear

audi3.jpg

audia314.jpg

audia317.jpg

oldpica3.jpg

Get the facelift if you can rear and front lights look so much better

Rob

I wouldnt rule out the Leon from your search list although it is such a shame a 3 door was never made. Youd be able to get a much newer Cupra for your money than Golf/A3 and have pretty much all the toys, climate control, MFA on 03 onwards etc etc....

Thanks for you replies. Carpy25....I would LOVE the quattro version but my budget won't stretch that far i'm afraid! :D Lovely motor by the way, I do like the look of the audi....and theres a couple relatively close to me for good money so I might go and have a quick look. Goldie....I have looked at the Leon's as you do seem to get more for your money in terms of power and also in the year of car I should be able to pick up. Theres just something niggling at me to go with golf or a3 though, and I really can't explain it.....hmmmm, decisions. :scratch:

Any more thoughts are most welcome..... :D

Agree with Michael about the Leon, and also worth considering the Octavia vRS...

You get so much more for your money with these, and apart from body panels, they're pretty much identical. I'd say the Audi has the best build quality, with the other 3 pretty much the same in my experience. With the money you save, you could get a good remap, FMIC etc and see some excellent power.

:D Lovely car, but my budget is pretty much half of what you're asking! :D I've come to the conclusion that its a mk4 or a3 aswel I think.....no disrespect to the leon, but its just not my cup o' tea....although I did see a nice rado g60 on pistonheads tother day which i'm toying with. I'm extremely confused as to what to buy as you can see.... :scratch: I fancy the whole 'modern car' concept with all the goodies that go with it (including a nice turbo), but I really miss the rado at the same time. In an ideal world...i'd have both of course! :D

:D Lovely car, but my budget is pretty much half of what you're asking! :D I've come to the conclusion that its a mk4 or a3 aswel I think.....no disrespect to the leon, but its just not my cup o' tea....although I did see a nice rado g60 on pistonheads tother day which i'm toying with. I'm extremely confused as to what to buy as you can see.... :scratch: I fancy the whole 'modern car' concept with all the goodies that go with it (including a nice turbo), but I really miss the rado at the same time. In an ideal world...i'd have both of course! :D

How about a 4motion then? Im selling one of those too for £3600 ;)

persistent fellow aren't ya!? :D I had looked at it to be honest, and if it was a 3-dr then you might have been in luck! Nice motor though at a good price...shouldn't have too much trouble selling it. Have you advertised it on edition38?