Sign in to follow this  
boost monkey

Catalytic converter issues

it is NOT a legal requirement for ANY car to have a Catalytic converter fitted. If a car can pass the emissions test without a Catalytic convertor fitted, there is NO LEGAL IMPLICATION and a valid MOT certificate can be issued no problems at all (as long as the rest of the car passes! :lol: )

The MOT is testing emissions, so if the emissions from the tailpipe meet the requirements the vehicle passes. Whether a CAT is fitted is irrelevant. The deciding factor is the vehicles date of first registration. A "Cat" may be fitted to a vehicle which only needs to meet the two gas test and if the emissions are satisfactory, it passes. A "Cat" may have been removed and the vehicle is required to meet the "Cat" test standard by virtue of its first registration date. If the emissions meet the standard then it passes.

Jon.

Why would a CAT friendly place need to be found then? If it passes, it passes, so it's irrelevant where you go. Unless there's something underhand.

Why would a CAT friendly place need to be found then? If it passes, it passes, so it's irrelevant where you go. Unless there's something underhand.

Exactly.

To be honest, I think g60karmann just wasn't too sure what the deal was and thought he might have to do it on the sly. You don't karmann, it's fine!

People just say to put the cat back on your exhaust for MOT time just because it's a ballache to have your car fail, THEN have to put the cat back on and THEN get a re-test.

It is perfectly legal to have a decat car as long as your emissions are in order. There's absolutely NO government legislation saying all cars after 92/K HAVE to have a catalytic converter; it was just introduced to help emissions :salute:

LOL, quality - Have you not realised that we have a PM system then? :lol:

The funniest thing with being a Moderator is the queue of smart arses waiting to trip you up :wink:

Its a grey area, there is/was a cut off point in 1992, if your car was made before August 1992 you dont need a cat and if it was made after then you do - as far as I know - though I could br wrong or the law may have changed.

Regardless, the question within the thread was asking for an MOT station that will turn a blind eye, so it will remain locked :)

No-one's waiting to trip anyone up, I was just about to post and state the perfect legality of karmann's car when I saw you had locked the thread :confused4:

I've checked with the DVLA and the DFT and it's not a legal requirement :salute:

It's a moot point now anyways as g60karmann has probably already read this, and seen my reply which is all I wanted in the first place! :clap:

now we can all hug and forget the kerfuffle :grin:

LOL, the kerfuffle that you had to cause? :wink:

If im wrong about the law then im wrong about the law, i've never pretended to be a technical expert, im just making sure the forum doesnt end up on the wrong end of a lawsuit so threads asking about MOT stations that will turn a blind eye will be locked.

If karmanng60 wants to use the search for information about whether a CAT is required and ask questions he's more than welcome :)

Thanks for the thread FMA though :camp: :)

:fondle:

Shame you've edited your first post and the thread title though :( I liked the multicoloured bold capitol effect etc etc :lol:

cheers boost monkey!!!

I thought the case was the emissions, but I recently got some work done at a local garage and asked him there what the deal was. He basically said he puts the car details into the MOT system and it tells him what emissions tests to run, he then said if it comes up as a CAT test then my car without one wouldn't pass. Although the car is running top notch, never smokes doesn't drink fuel (well no more than you would expect!) so I might just give it a go and see if it fails.

I always thought it was a case that any car after 91 needed one. Which made no sense to me cause then you could have a 90 car with a 3.2 24v from a 99 car and not bother with a CAT?!?!?

I didn't want to cause trouble on here just wanted some clarification as everyone including garages say different things.

You havent caused trouble mate, that's what the monkeys for :wink: :lol:

There's been quite a few threads on the 'CAT' issue so it might be worth having a look through them, the reason for locking the thread in the suppliers section was because of the legal issue of people naming certain garages that will be more leanient than others etc :eek: i'm sure any garages named wouldnt be best pleased! :)

Very good point Walesy, i hadn't thought of that due to never having a car remotely near new enough to even warrant being near a converter. or even a cat. :brickwall:

:notworthy:

LOL, quality - Have you not realised that we have a PM system then? :lol:

The funniest thing with being a Moderator is the queue of smart arses waiting to trip you up :wink:

Regardless, the question within the thread was asking for an MOT station that will turn a blind eye, so it will remain locked :)

Meant to comment on this when it was relavant, but I totally agree with Walesy, nowadays, people have a habit of trawling the internet for evidence to back legal cases up, for example there's the thread on Pistonheads where the fella went to prison, and the police used his internet posts as evidence in court.

Besides If I owned Dubious Daves Dodgy MOT Centre and Mirkin Showroom, I'd be none too pleased if VOSA turned up wanting to audit/inspect my premises because some scrote who I let through with a touch and go MOT told all his internet freinds about it.

EDIT, Walesy actually made all these points later :oops: