Sign in to follow this  
dokko

Clutch pedal related rattle

Thought the timing chains on the VR6 were starting to go last night after hearing a faint rattling noise:(

Turns out that this rattle (sounds like a ticking sound) disappears when the clutch pedal is slightly depressed, by about 3/4"

Theres still plenty of play left in the clutch pedal at this point,so I'm hoping that it's just something requiring some adjustment.

No issues with gear selection or engaging the clutch. Any ideas what I should be looking for?

Cheers.

If it only happens when you're sitting still with the gear in neutral it's probably the g/b output shaft.. (Which is pretty normal..)

Cheers guys for the quick reply. Gives me something to search for.

The rattle is there as soon as the clutch pedal is released when idling or driving in every gear. It's not loud and the pitch is constant - speed doesn't have any effect.

As soon as the clutch pedal is depressed slightly, it's gone. Will get it checked asap and report back.

Cheers!

Sounds like the clutch release bearing, easy enough to do if you have jacks and a weekend.......as you depress the pedal the 'slack' is taken up in the bearing as it's 'squished' toward the pressure plate and so the noise goes away, it's not too serious, I'd just keep an eye on it......

Situation getting worse now, with it becoming more difficult to engage gears.

It's booked in for next Wednesday. Mechanic I know diagnosed it as release bearing and advised it'd make more sense fitting new clutch :shrug:

Wallet now 300 notes lighter. Looks like I'll need to postpone the Eibach replacement for the snapped ARB a little longer...

Oh, and I smashed my driver's wing mirror. They do say these things come in threes :gag: