Sign in to follow this  
iow_corrado_g60

Compounds for scratch removal

Hi all want to start getting a few smaller scratches out of my bodywork so really want to check first what you all feel is the best compound,

e.g G3 or scratch-X etc!

any comments greatly appreciated

Thnaks Andy

G3 is a really hard compound, i wouldnt really recommend using that personally. Scratch-X is fine for light scratches and will certainly make deep scratches less apparent, i do machine polishing so i get light scratches out easily enough with that however on any spot scratches i just use Scratch-X, applied quite liberally and just work it fairly hard into the paint in all directions and dont stop until the scratch is gone and my arms kill! :lol:

i find scratch x good, but only worth doing on small areas at a time, you'll be there for weeks trying to do whole car.

really work it in, but in don't push hard, just take my time going in all directions and breaking the product down. Wipe off and repeat a few times, then i would try autogylm super resin polish a few times as well.... Some times that can make a nice difference after scratch x.

don't expect miracles tho, at the end of the day your just rubbing paint with a cloth and some cream of sorts :lol:

I bought scratch x with high expectations but my c really does have some bad swirlage and I found it didnt really make a diff after going over the bonnet. Could just be my weak ass arms though :grin:

Is G3 really that bad as I was thinking about going over the whole car with a that and a machine polisher (loads of water with it though) :shrug:

Tim

G3 is great (bit old though) at removing swirls with a machine, just have to be careful is all and if you have no experience using this combo then i wouldnt recommend 'trying it out' on your pride and joy.

5 or 10 good coats of well rubbed in autoglym resin will make it look just as good buddy plus thats the easiest stuff to apply/take off in all conditions. Good luck.

I only ever use G3 if ive done loads of wet flatting or nibs on fresh paint. I try and avoid it if possible.

My favourite compounds are Menzerna intensive and final finish. You really need a rotary or random orbital polisher for these though.