Sign in to follow this  
Bridget

G60 Emissions for MOT

when you find the book post the name up i will get a copy it sounds intresting in a tech sort of way

right up my street :)

OK,

"The signal from this sensor is passed to the engine's ECU so that the relevant stoichiometric mixture ratio can be maintained. In reality, the mixture isn't held at one precise ratio, rather it swings from rich to lean across the sensor operating range to give an average mixture which is correct for the catalyst. This operating system is called 'closed loop' because it is a continuous cycle of correction and feed back.

The emissions are not controlled by the closed-loop system all the time. Because we need different mixture ratios for cold starting, acceleration and full power, the closed loop system only really operates under idle and light cruise conditions. This point has not been made to the wider public, because it might call into question the effectiveness of the catalytic converter - not what politicians and motor manufactures want at all!"

I'm officially sad for typing all of that! :shrug:

Haynes - High performance tuning series

Engine Management

Dave Walker

On amazon for about £15.

when you find the book post the name up i will get a copy it sounds intresting in a tech sort of way

right up my street :)

OK,

"The signal from this sensor is passed to the engine's ECU so that the relevant stoichiometric mixture ratio can be maintained. In reality, the mixture isn't held at one precise ratio, rather it swings from rich to lean across the sensor operating range to give an average mixture which is correct for the catalyst. This operating system is called 'closed loop' because it is a continuous cycle of correction and feed back.

The emissions are not controlled by the closed-loop system all the time. Because we need different mixture ratios for cold starting, acceleration and full power, the closed loop system only really operates under idle and light cruise conditions. This point has not been made to the wider public, because it might call into question the effectiveness of the catalytic converter - not what politicians and motor manufactures want at all!"

I'm officially sad for typing all of that! :shrug:

Haynes - High performance tuning series

Engine Management

Dave Walker

On amazon for about £15.

top man ten out of ten for effort ,

i wont tell if you dont , i knew about the lambda sensor most of them operate between 0 to 1 v and on a graph it goes up and down in a swoop the diagnostic machine shows it on an occiliscope graph , the cat defenately works throughout the range but it seems from what they say it only at its optimum at in 2 places ,

which would account for a cat test on the mot being carried out at idle and fast idle which is 2500-3000 rpm and to reach that on the spot is very light throttle as we all know ,

thanks for the book title i will definately get it

cheers paul :salute:

My innovate wideband kit turned up today so looks like I might be having a geeky weekend in the sun hopefully, which is not as sad as I'll be outdoors looking at something other than a computer screen or it's insides. :salute:

Oh it's not a bad book a bit thin and it introduces Emerald ECU's in the last section with a free demo CD.

I'm hopefully going Emerald on the new engine, eventually. :eek: