Sign in to follow this  
gogsboy

Crack pipe

Wonder if anyone knows the offical name for this piece?

Also about the custom made one from gruven or whatever they are called, is there a differnce between the 12v pipe and the 24v pipe.

If the 24v is different, does anyone know the part number to get one from Ford

Cheers

its just called a "cooling tube" on the diagrams i looked at.

not sure about 12v vs 24v differences though

Did you replace yours with one from Ford, I'm after one sharpish and getting stuff from Ford has been easier with regards to getting housing bits and pieces.

In the for sale section someone is selling one for a 24v but they are not sure if it will fit a 12v

no, i got the gruvenparts one from strictly dubs, didn't see the point of putting a plastic one back on when you can get metal 8)

This is also my opinion. They last for about 12 years right?

So for £20 you get another 12 years? Bargain.

It'll probably illegal to drive a VR6 by then anyway!

This is also my opinion. They last for about 12 years right?

So for £20 you get another 12 years? Bargain.

It'll probably illegal to drive a VR6 by then anyway!

Guessing they must last a while as previous owner seemed to have kept all receipts etc and not finding any for crack pipe.

Not sure another £20 gets you this bling bling one but yes I'm sure it will be illegal to drive a VR6 then...or impossible :nono:

i changed mine after 160,000 and the old plastic one was still fine, just did it as a precaution really

Do Ford do this part, just called VW and as usual lots of drama and holding and getting knowhere, cause I dont have the chassis number, they seems totally lost without out it and of course reg no. no good to them as its been changed and doesn't show on their system.

i don't know about that?

but i know VW are always a pain, wanting to knw car reg and all the details every time?

i don't know about that?

but i know VW are always a pain, wanting to knw car reg and all the details every time?

Yes I've had it nearly everytime, even when gave them part numbers last time for housing and associated gubbings, they still managed to forget half of it.

I was even into a dealer not long ago to get new lock and the like for MK3 Golf and the guy was trying to tell me that they were sided, I already knew they weren;t but he continued to swear by it and phoned the VW chassis hotline and argued with Mr hotline, it was comical but quite frustrating, I ended up walking out....went back another day and it was an older woman on the parts and she was spot on and not a chassis number in sight!

hey thread revivial :D

done a search but no luck, beyond the sturdiness issue is there any other benefits to using one of these gruven crack pipes?

They are pretty bloody pointless IMHO. Unless maybe your engine is highly stressed or the car is more of a track car - that's the only reason I can think of that would warrant such an item.

I bought one - nicely engineered and durable, but I had a lot of trouble fitting and did not know new VAG original plastcky ones were so cheap.

Agree with earlier posters sentiments, to be frank. doh!