Sign in to follow this  
barryarginnraddo

my 20vt corrado ... the saga continues

I see you've got the T-cut out... again? (As it's a lovely red one). Ahem - Get it in the Red Rado thread where it belongs! :thumb right: :notworthy:

cheers for that, yeah it needs doing every now and again! red is a nightmare. but looks so sweet once you have spent a couple of hours on it. 8)

hi all, me and my 2 very good mates wardy and masey have started work on the 20vt conversion, we have got;

agu lump with ko3s turbo.

Qpeng diy kit

qpeng down pipe

fmic

heres what we have been up to;

01082008047.jpg

looking good, what sort of timescale are you looking at to get it done?

to be honest were not that sure about the wiring, every thing else is almost sorted or can be with relative ease.

im hoping to find some one on the forum who has done this them selves to pick brains :D

Hi,

I hope the conversion goes smoothly.

Out of interest, where did you source the engine and ecu from? The reason I ask is a friend sold exactly that set-up about a year ago, but the chap that bought it seemed to go quiet, we wondered if he lost interest in his conversion, and now I'm wondering if you bought his stuff.

Would be amusing if it is the same engine / ecu, as that was in a Corrado 16v up until June last year!

Hi,

I hope the conversion goes smoothly.

Out of interest, where did you source the engine and ecu from? The reason I ask is a friend sold exactly that set-up about a year ago, but the chap that bought it seemed to go quiet, we wondered if he lost interest in his conversion, and now I'm wondering if you bought his stuff.

Would be amusing if it is the same engine / ecu, as that was in a Corrado 16v up until June last year!

Hiya, i got the engine from some one on here and got ecu etc.. seperatley. I believe the engine came from a mk1 golf that had been broken.

Ask Biggerbigben he has done it all loads.

wow cheers for that, i need to get on his case in a friendly way!

Its not so much the new loom which is a problem, its more what to do with the old loom, and how to get the temp gauge / rev counter etc working and where to find the wires etc.

Hi mate,

Nice work...is the new lump in yet?

I'm also in the middle of a 20v turbo conversion 8) using the QPE loom too.

Would be good to compare notes as I have hit a few minor snags.

Check your PM's

Sukh

So not the same engine then!

The Corrado side is pretty straight forward. Swap the pressure switches from the 16v to the 20vt oil housing, and connect the plugs. The switched power, rev counter feed, and fuel pump relay feed are all in the connector to the 16v ecu. The rev counter will need a signal converter to work - Qpeng sell 'em I think.

The water temp is again quite simple - I guess you noted the plug when you remove it from the 16v. Connect it one side of the double sensor on the 20vt, with a potentiometer inline to get the resistance right. Not ideal, but it'll give you a vaguely sensible reading with temperature.

Lastly, i think, the alternator - there'll be a connection to the 16v alternator, which is the charge signal to the dash. It should be fairly obvious.

I've done a couple of these, but about 2 years ago, so my memory is a bit cloudy.

So not the same engine then!

The Corrado side is pretty straight forward. Swap the pressure switches from the 16v to the 20vt oil housing, and connect the plugs. The switched power, rev counter feed, and fuel pump relay feed are all in the connector to the 16v ecu. The rev counter will need a signal converter to work - Qpeng sell 'em I think.

The water temp is again quite simple - I guess you noted the plug when you remove it from the 16v. Connect it one side of the double sensor on the 20vt, with a potentiometer inline to get the resistance right. Not ideal, but it'll give you a vaguely sensible reading with temperature.

Lastly, i think, the alternator - there'll be a connection to the 16v alternator, which is the charge signal to the dash. It should be fairly obvious.

I've done a couple of these, but about 2 years ago, so my memory is a bit cloudy.

WOW thats uber useful to know!! Ive started to strip back the loom and remove uncessary sensor wires etc..

does any one know how the boost control valve shoule be plummed in? ive got an idea one side is into intake pipe work, one to actuator and one to inlet manifold?

Boost solenoid:

Pneumatically - one side to the wastegate actuator, one side to the pressurised side of the boost pipework.

Electrically - switched 12v to one side, earth through a PWM output on the qpeng.

dd you find your 20vt conversions reliable once opperational?

Water pump impeller - was the OEM plastic one, and it failed. Replaced with a metal impeller one, and no issues since.

AUQ engine, so later style coils - had a few fail, but now all are the latest version, and they're fine.

It's a mate's car I refer to, but I've driven it quite a bit, including two track days.

If you're going to do track days, fit a VR radiator and a decent high CFM slimline fan.

Hi all, over the weekend quite a bit of progress has been made;

pas all bolted on, cooling system hoses all sorted, oil changed, down pipe fitted, etc..

next on the agenda is; wiring, throttle cable, finishing off boost pipe work / vacuum pipes.

WIRING - i swear this is just a nightmare. help.

ok guys aiming to the wiring tomorow got the whole day booked off my girl friend.

think we are going to start with the 20vt wiring. We have the budget version of the qpeng kit meaning me have to adapt the look using their instructions. Athough in my opinion the instructions could be alot better, i think this is achieveable.

Then its the task of removing the old wiring, ive already stripped the tape back off the loom to reveal a huge bundle of wiring ; a lot of which goes to the ecu, im assuming you remove the wires from the old ecu to the engine bay one sensor / plug connection by one until left with only a few wires.

has any one done this recently using the qpeng kit?

Good luck mate! I'll be watching this one closely!

As for wiring that's pretty much what I'm going to do with mine...one sensor at a time! Should be fun as the instructions don't make sense at the mo!

A couple of peeps on here have done it.....drop them a PM.

What engine oil did you use? muppet at TPS tried to sell me VW Longlife? :scratch:

well as luck would have it when my friend was in a local auto factors he noticed some "shell" fully sin oil at a bargain basement price, the plan is to run it for a few hundred miles then do an oil change and put some decent oil in.

this shell might be ok it was down from 40 ish to 16 quid. bargain.

debating if or not to take the sump off and clean the strainer thingy out, as ive read that they can get blocked up.

still waiting on 2 silicone hoses to finish my boost run and 2 for my bottom rad hose from sfs.

Have you sourced a throttle cable yet? the qpeng guide says a mk2 1600 i think? im not sure what model they are refering to? any one got a part number?

well as luck would have it when my friend was in a local auto factors he noticed some "shell" fully sin oil at a bargain basement price, the plan is to run it for a few hundred miles then do an oil change and put some decent oil in.

this shell might be ok it was down from 40 ish to 16 quid. bargain.

debating if or not to take the sump off and clean the strainer thingy out, as ive read that they can get blocked up.

still waiting on 2 silicone hoses to finish my boost run and 2 for my bottom rad hose from sfs.

Have you sourced a throttle cable yet? the qpeng guide says a mk2 1600 i think? im not sure what model they are refering to? any one got a part number?

What grade is the oil your using?

Try forge for hoses, they are pretty cheap.

For throttle cable you can use your 16v one :)