Sign in to follow this  
Jim

Air filter cleaning / different brands...?

Stupid question but you gotta ask I suppose!

Going to do a service on my car - my confidence is good enough now with doing oily bits that I feel that an oil & filter change, spark plugs, air filter clean, new rotor arm + dizzy cap are well within my skill set. Not amazing I know given what some of you guys do on here.. but still!

My question is regarding the air filter. I cracked my airbox open this evening to find out that I had a JR air filter element in there - its a reusable part but is in DESPERATE need of a clean as what is meant to be nice and bright blue is in fact black and grim and probably not helping my engine breath well at all. Am I ok to just buy a K&N filter recharge kit for it (seeing as they're widely available at Halfrauds, etc) or should I ideally get a JR filter recharge kit..? I'm assuming the cleaning solution and oil are basically the same vendor to vendor so it shouldn't be a problem but would like to hear if that is not the case.

Cheers.

I reckon you'd be fine with a K&N kit but find out first if the JR filters are dry or oiled. The K&N kit comes with oil which you wouldn't want to put on if the JR filter isn't designed to work with oil. Personally, if it's dry I'd use some of my bike cleaner and save the £ on a dedicated kit. It's only cotton.

Well looking around on the net, you can get a JR cleaner kit which consists of cleaning fluid and an oil.. so i'm hoping its the same! To be honest, looking at the state of the old one, i'm tempted to just buy a new K+N filter!

if its a cotton gauze filter it should be oiled, i havnt come across a dry cotton gauze one yet...

i have a blitz sonic filter, just use the k&n stuff seems to work fine

Jetex filter cleaner and oil kit from Inters a few years back has lasted me well and done several cleans, need an old washing up bowl or something for the cleaner, the kit was 10 quid IIRC

if its a cotton gauze filter it should be oiled, i havnt come across a dry cotton gauze one yet...

i have a blitz sonic filter, just use the k&n stuff seems to work fine

Apex'i are dry cotton :)

Well I did get a K&N recharge kit for the filter. The engine seems to be working still so I guess it didn't do it any harm?! :)

To be honest I think the filter is past its best as despite a good soaking with filter cleaner, I couldn't get it back to the blue colour its meant to be - though the cotton element inside (which I could just about see through the mesh) looked clean - so maybe it's not all bad.

hell, i've seen a small aerosol before! :lol:

sounds like you're not too sure if there's any life left in your filter, so throw some pics up and we can see :clap:

Oh! :)

Hehe - well the car is tucked up in the garage now and I can't be bothered to go dismantle the airbox again - i'll try and remeber to grab a piccie tomorrow :)