Sign in to follow this  
madhuntsman

2.0 16v runs well but then cuts out and wont idle

Can anyone help with this.

I have recently purchased a 1993 2.0 16v.It runs really well as it covered 170k, i had to replace the ignition swith which now means it starts every time but after a short time warming up the engine cuts out. It will restart but wont idle unless you keep the revs over about 1000rpm, any ideas? :cry:

Im having to think back to my valver days here but...

Do you have 2 or 3 spade terminals on single pin sensors on the right hand side of the cylinder head?

If you do just take note of which wire goes to which, and then swap them around to see if the problem dissapears.

If i remember rightly the sensors are all the same part, so the wires can actually be swapped anyway.

Neil.

I think the three single pin sensors are on the 1.8L Kr head only, and are replaced with a two pin sensor and one single pin sensor (for the temp gauge afaik) on the 2.0L's. Still worth checking them though! :wink:

Having a similar prob on a mate of mines 2.0L that we haven't got to the bottom of yet. But this thread is worth a look:

http://www.the-corrado.net/.archive/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=62564&hilit=2.0+16v+idle

Aye, thats right 8) And im pretty sure one of them will still run to the ecu (which is sometimes a cause of no tickover) but im unsure which it is on the 9a's...

Neil.