Sign in to follow this  
MonkeyVR6

Bizzare electrical problem...need a C geek please - UPDATED!

Hi chaps,

Well, I've squared away my upcoming service - 21st May - and I've now had VW fit a new headlight control unit switch yesterday...

However, now I have an electrical gremlin thats making me go :cuckoo:

Since having my car I've had a niggle with the electric windows fuse blowing now and again ('bout 3/4 times in 6months of ownership). It always seems to be FUSE 14 FOR REVERSE LIGHTS 10AMP.

Yesterday, the fuse blew again, and whenever I initially put another in it would blow instantly. Now normally this wouldn't piss me off that much, but its 30+ degrees! :crazyeyes:

So now my beloved 1995 Corrado VR6 has a new trick and here is the problem (going to VW on Tuesday 13th for this)

The electric windows no longer work, however the fuse 14 isn't blowing, but now the central locking also isn't working?! The keyfob activates/deactivates the alarm as per usual and the indicators flash...but no joy from the central locking.

Which fuse is for the electric windows and central locking anyway? Its not listed on the fuse box trim and I don't have a Corrado manual.

PLEASE HELP!!! I'm going crazy and sweating like a chick with a bag of dicks.

I am boggled at why no-one has said this already, but...

There's a control module hidden behind the O/S/R doorcard (no door, I know) which controls both the e/w and the c/l iirc.

Have you checked the connections to this?

Didn't even know it was there! :shock:

So behind the trim thats in the rear passenger side? Okay-then, I'll see if I can go remove it.

Mucho cheers dude.

there is a fuse that sits in a fuse holder just above the fuse box for the windows and c/l btw

Ah, just discovered these. Its a 25A on the left and a 15A on the right - both working fine.

Also discovered the wiring behind the passenger trim in the rear - all the wiring looks fine, but I'll just point it out to VW on Tuesday.

The only thing is that number 14 fuse keeps blowing. It did have a 10A in it, but that blew, so I stuck a 15A in it and that went too!

Can someone please, please, please tell me what fuse (5, 10, 15, 20, 25A etc) goes it which numbered slot in the fuse box? :?

Cheers for this help lads.

Ok, all fuses fixed and everything ok.

It appears that when the drivers door is fully open as far as it will go, the electric windows go crazy, (go down by themselves, blow fuses etc) so I can only assume there is something crazy electrical wise going on inside the drivers door!

Check the rubber conduit between the door and the bodyshell. If the boot has come adrift the wires might be rubbing on the bodywork and shorting out.

My car had this very fault and it was the drivers door boot had fallen out and the loom had rubbed through. Insultated the wires with some tape and refitted the boot, no more problems since.

just remembered that my fuse kept blowing after having the door trim off to sort out a jammed lock and the e/w wiring being routed the wrong way so that it shorted out whent he window was lowered