Sign in to follow this  
Bruceybaby

Speaker sizes

Hello Guys, I'm quite new to this forum (never posted before but alwas looking!)

I'm really just looking to confirm a few things with the the Audio buffs.

I have a 1989 valver. and currently my sound system is pants. To be honest, they only thing i think works, is the dash speakers!

I realise with it being the earlier model, it has no door speakers! So what i need to know is.

Am i looking for 5.25" for a direct fit to the door pods.

How difficult is it to run a new wiring loom to the HU from the doors and are there any tips on this? i.e can i splice directly in to the wiring for the dash speakers?

What size are the dash speakers? I have used the search function and some posts seems to say use 1" tweeters, others saying you can use up to 4" 2-ways.

And are there meant to be speakers in the rear? Who ever had this car befopre me put some sh**ty home made parcel shelf in there with some random set of speakers which aren't ever wired in.

Any help is very much appreciated

TAR!

Alright dude! Welcome to the forum :wave:

I think the best thing for you to do is get yourself a good 5.25" component kit, whack the mids in the doors and the tweeters on the dash. I mounted my tweeters on the dash with some radio strap, and that seemed to work a treat. As far as wiring the door speakers, you'll just have to go through the rubber concertina grommet thingy that goes between the door and A pillar. If you remove the lower dash trays, you should be able to get to the inside of that grommet which has a foam insert around the wires to protect them from any chaffing on the metal. Then remove the door card and there should be a few gaps in the inner door skin so you can see where best to route the wires. If you use a component kit with a full crossover, then they can be stuck behind the dash. So from head unit to them, then crossover to tweeter and crossover to mid.

The rear parcel shelf supports contain some 6x4" speakers. Standard ones are poop, so, if you don't fancy a 6x9 on the shelf then just a nice direct replacement in there too.

Which speakers will depend on budget and whether you are considering an additional amplifier to the one in the head unit.

HTH :salute:

cheers mrbeige.

You lost me a bit with talk of crossovers and mids :S but good advice on wiring mate thanks you!

So i CAN fit anything from a 1" to a 4" speakers in the dash without chopping stuff yeah?

cheers mrbeige.

You lost me a bit with talk of crossovers and mids :S but good advice on wiring mate thanks you!

So i CAN fit anything from a 1" to a 4" speakers in the dash without chopping stuff yeah?

With the right 4" speaker, yeah, but you are better off with a component kit, otherwise you'll end up with it being super ear splittingly bright!

cheers mate!

I'll be buying bits and bobs off ebay to keep cost down so will probably go for like 3.5 inch speakers.

Too busy fitting a fully functioning sunroof ATM just want to get everything right before is start buying

Thanks again!

I might be sticking my neck out here but if you're only ever going to use head unit power (so not use an external dedicated amp) I'd stick to the OE wiring. I doubt you'd find an audible difference using better wire. Wire does degrade and go off but remember speaker wire is all internal to the car and tucked away from damp and heat so it should be in good condition. I'd definitely go for a simple 5.25 component set up though. The crossover is simply the box which splits the feed between the mids (the 5.25 inch speakers) and highs (tweeters)

if you buy a component kit then the tweeters will be nice and small and may fit in to the original mountings or you can do as some others have and cut the existing tweeter grille and mount in there.

if you buy separate larger tweeters be careful of their height. although 4" wide may fit widthways into the mounting positions, the available height under the grilles is not the same on both sides and what you buy might not fit underneath.